We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible user experience. Disabling these cookies may prevent our site from working efficiently. To find out more about our cookies read our privacy policy.

Part-time jobs

Career Development job shop


Accessing YSJ Connect

 - Jobs and Opportunities, useful links and information on job hunting.

YSJ Connect - Jobs and Opportunities advertises part-time vacancies and vacation work for employers in York and the surrounding area.  Once you have registered you can set up email alerts which will send you information on new vacancies as they are added.


Useful links and advice on job hunting

The York Press online and every Wednesday advertises jobs in York and the surrounding area. Wednesday's edition of the York Press is available to look at in the Careers and Employability Centre in Phoenix Court.

Both City of York Council and North Yorkshire County Council advertise some part-time jobs on their job vacancy pages. A copy of the City of York weekly vacancy bulletin is displayed on the Careers and Employability boards in Phoenix Court.

Universal Jobmatch is also useful for searching and applying for full or part-time jobs in Great Britain and abroad.

It is possible to find temporary work via recruitment agencies http://www.yell.com/ allow your search for recruitment agencies via locality.

  • Vacancies at York Designer Outlet and York Hospitals are also displayed on the Careers and Employability Boards in Phoenix Court.
  • Part-time and temporary staff vacancies are often advertised in shop, pub, restaurant and café windows.
  • You can also be proactive and make 'speculative' applications to local companies. 

For help with your CV, job application and advice on interview skills, make an appointment with the Careers and Employability Team or attend on of our workshops.

For information and advice on CVs, making applications and interview skills click here.


National Minimum Wage

This is currently:

  • £4.98 per hour for workers aged 18 - 20 
  • £6.19 per hour for workers aged 21+

We only advertise vacancies which meet the minimum wage.



If you have any queries about tax information can be found at  www.hmrc.gov.uk/students or you can contact the York Tax Office, Swinson House, 23 Piccadilly, York YO1 9PG


National Insurance for UK students

All UK students should have been issued with a National Insurance Number when they were 16. You will need this number when starting a temporary or part-time job. if you need information and advice about your National Insurance Number you can contact the National Insurance Helpline on 0845 915 7006.


Information for International Students

Check your passport to see whether you are entitled to work in the UK during your studies. If you have a Tier 4 Student Visa you are normally entitled to work 20 hours per work during term-time and full-time during vacations and on work placements.  If you are unsure about your entitlement to work, contact the International Office at the University.

If you are employed or looking for work, you must have a NI number (or have at least applied for one). NI contributions help finance the National Health Service (NHS). By making contributions, you also build up your entitlement to certain social security benefits, including the State Pension.
If you don't already have a NI number you must apply for one:

  • as soon as you start work
  • as soon as you or your partner claims benefit

To apply for a NI number, you will need to telephone the Jobcentre plus National Insurance allocation service helpline on 0845 600 0643. They will make sure you need a number and arrange for you to undertake an evidence of identity interview.
During this interview you will be asked to supply the following information:

  • name
  • address
  • telephone number
  • nationality
  • employer’s name and contact details
  • if you are an overseas student, confirmation that you hold a valid student visa
  • if you are an EEA national, confirmation of your nationality

You are allowed to work while you are waiting for your NI number to be issued.