Student Internship Programme
Do you have a project which you just never have the time or the
manpower to do?
Then this could be of interest to you!
The York St John University Student Internship Programme has
been set up to allow students to gain paid work experience with
employers during their degree. The scheme is project based
therefore allowing the remuneration to be on a training allowance
basis, thus eliminating the tax and NI costs.
The details of the Scheme are as follows:
- Companies who wish to take a student to undertake a project
based role will work in conjunction with Careers
and Employability at York St John University to produce
details of the project with clear objectives and expected
- The cost of the intern will depend on the timescales of the
project. The intern is paid £6 per hour and would usually
work a 37 hour week (£222 per week) outside of term time and a
maximum of 16 hours per week during term time. The cost
would then depend on the number of weeks the project would
- We are happy to consider projects undertaken on a part-time
basis out of term-time also.
- Once the project details and person specification have been
agreed we will advertise the internship to
- Applications will usually be in the form of a CV and covering
letter unless agreed otherwise.
- All applications will be sent to ourselves and we will
shortlist to an agreed number. These will then be forwarded
to the employer to make the final decision for
- Once a suitable candidate is chosen they will meet
with our Internship Co-ordinator to complete the relevant
- A contract letter will be sent to both the student and the
employer for signature before the commencement of the project.
- The student will be paid a training allowance via the
university on a fortnightly basis. A weekly timesheet is to
be submitted by the employer on a weekly basis.
- The employer will be invoice for the full amount of the
internship on commencement of the project.
- The intern will be issued with a set of Learning Outcomes and a
Learning Log to comply with the training agreement.
- A visit will be made during the internship and on
completion of the internship.
If you are interested in taking a student on an internship basis
or would like more information please contact Suzanne Dickinson on
01904 876519 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org