Email Archiving (for Staff)
As a result of the ever growing volume of email and attachments
and the demands on computing resources for storage capacity, York
St John ICT Services purchased Symantec™ Enterprise Vault email
archiving software. Enterprise Vault seamlessly integrates
with Outlook and Outlook Web Access allowing users to easily store,
search and retrieve email and attachments.
Email archiving moves items from all folders within your YSJ
mailbox to your own personal online archive to free up mailbox
space. You can also choose to manually ‘push’ items into the
archive. Once you are set up, you can access your archived
items through Outlook* or Outlook Web
Access** like your non-archived email.
The automatic archiving of mailbox data is based upon age and
- Age Based: Archive items when they are older than 6
- Quota Based: Archive items until mailbox available storage
- Override settings: Never archive items younger than 2
Please note the following:
- Though unlikely, it is still technically possible to fill your
mailbox due to the above 'override setting'.
- Although the archiving solution is intended to help you manage
your emails more effectively and allow you to store more email, you
should still perform basic housekeeping tasks periodically such as
deleting emails that are no longer relevant.
- Mailbox archiving does not run in real-time. The
archiving task runs once a day at 10PM which means that it is still
possible for a mailbox to run out of space.
If you feel you would benefit from having archiving enabled on
your YSJ mailbox please contact the Messaging Team
on 6818 / 6908 or email email@example.com.
End user guide for email archiving using Enterprise Vault
can be downloaded using the link below.
* When using a University staff PC.
** Internet Explorer only.