Digital Scanning Service
The Copyright Licensing Agency's (CLA) Higher Education License
(for photocopying and scanning) allows the creation of digital
copies of published material through scanning in specific
circumstances and in accordance with copyright legislation.
To comply with the terms of the License and enable the full
reporting the CLA requires, all digital copies must be
authorised and made by Information Learning Services
staff. Scanning of copyrighted material is not to be
undertaken by other staff in any circumstances.
To request the scanning of a publication please ensure that it
is eligible using the checklist below and complete the
Application for Scanned Chapter/Article that is currently
available from the Staff Information Point. Please note
that you will need to log in to access this form.
- Scanning must be in accordance with copyright legislation, e.g.
no more than one article from a periodical issue or one chapter or
5% of a book (whichever is the greater). Newspaper articles are not
included under the terms of the license.
- The item to be scanned must be published in the UK, and many
other countries (subject to any specific exclusions).
- The item must be owned either by York St. John University (in
stock at Information Learning Services) or obtainable from another
library that is licensed to make copyright cleared copies.
- Material either available through York St. John University in
electronic format (e.g. a periodical article available as an
electronic journal through Information Learning Services) or
readily obtainable in electronic form at reasonable cost, will not
be scanned. Links to electronic material can be included in Moodle
- Scanning must be for educational use and relate to a specific
course of study.
- For further guidance on copyright issues,
and clarification of the legislation, please see our copyright information pages.
Requests for scanning will be verified by Information Learning
Services and a scanned copy made, normally in PDF format. The
scanned copy will then be emailed to the requestor and may be
made available through Moodle or elsewhere providing the
License Conditions below are observed:
- The scanned copy must be displayed exactly as supplied by the
Scanning Service, complete with copyright notice. Any alteration of
the content is not permissible.
- Scanned copies are accessible only to students on the course or
module for which the request to scan was made (e.g. the scanned
copy must not be accessible to the University community as a whole
or to a wider group of users beyond those required to study
- The scanned copy is maintained only for the duration of the
course of study and either deleted or made inaccessible when the
course is not running.
- The scanned copy is deleted at the request of Information
Learning Services (with confirmation) if its continued availability
would breach the terms of the CLA License.
For further information please contact the Scanning