Joining the Library
Use of Information Learning Services is free for all York St
John University staff and students.
The library is part of Information Learning Services and is
located within Fountains which is at the Clarence Street entrance
of the campus. The library holds over 184,000 volumes and provides
access to over 6,700 print and electronic periodical titles. There
is also access to a wide range of other print and electronic
information resources. A variety of study spaces in open and quiet
study areas are available. Staff can help you at Question
Point on the Ground Floor. Roving staff are also on
hand throughout the building to offer assistance.
The library is freely open to all for reference purposes. No
prior admission arrangements are required. Fee based borrowing
membership is also available and is detailed further below.
The York Teaching Hospital Health Library and Information
Service is also located within Fountains.
For our current opening times, please see our opening times page.
Joining the library and membership
Full external borrowing membership is available for an annual
fee of £20.00. A special reduced fee of £10.00 per annum is
available to those holding a City of York Library card/Yorkcard.
Membership is valid for one year and may be renewed on payment of a
further annual fee subject to return of overdue items and payment
of any fines/bills. To join we require:
- proof of identity
- two passport-sized photographs
- completion of a registration card.
The number of items you can borrow is 15 at any one time but
there are limits by collection as below:
|CDs & Audiocassettes
|One Day Loan
|Separate allocations operate for the RE and
Language Centres, please enquire for details
Loan periods vary for different types of material:
- Most books - 4 weeks
- 7-day books, most videos, DVDs & CDs - 1 week
- Quick Access Texts - reference only
Please take care to note the due date of return as this may be
shorter or longer than the usual 7 or 28 day loan periods before
and during University vacations.
How to borrow and return items
- Use the points in the Self Service area to borrow and
return all books and other items (except videocassettes and
some other materials) with your library card.
- Items which cannot be borrowed or returned in the Self Service
area, e.g. videocassettes, should be taken to Question Point and
staff will issue or return the items for you.
- If you have any difficulty using the points in the Self Service
area then please ask a member of staff for help.
Renewing your books
You can renew 4 week and 7-day loan items up to 7 times by one
of the following methods:
- Online by clicking on Library Account on the library
website (need pin number)
- Online by clicking on the Sign In option next to Renew my
library books on the library catalogue (need pin number)
- By telephone on 01904 876696 (need card number).
Current fines for items returned late are:
- 4 week loans - 10p per day
- 7-day loans - 50p per day
You cannot borrow or renew if your fine is over £10.00.
- You can place holds on 4 week and 7-day loan items using the
‘Place hold’ option from a library catalogue record.
- Holds can be placed on items that are out on loan.
- You will be notified by email when a hold is available.
If we need to contact you
- Emails are sent out to remind you when items are due for
- If you do not use email, notices to remind you of overdue items
will not be sent until they are 14 days overdue.
The library catalogue is searchable from computers in Fountains
or at http://library.yorksj.ac.uk/
Enquiry service and information skills
An enquiry service is operated from Question Point on the Ground
Floor for advice on services, finding information, queries and
using databases. Roving staff are also on hand throughout the
building to offer assistance.
Access to electronic resources
A wide range of electronic resources are available through the
library website such as eBook, e-journals and databases. Where
license terms permit, external users registered for borrowing
access may use the University’s network on a guest basis for
limited use of these resources, and the Internet more generally, on
the following terms:
- a special logon must be obtained from Question Point
- access is limited to using non-restricted electronic resources
and the Internet. There is no access to network storage or printing
The library does not provide coin operated public photocopying
facilities. We can copy limited amounts of material subject to
copyright law and staff availability on request. Copies are charged
at 5p per sheet and require completion of a Copyright Declaration.
Please ask at Question Point for further details.