Using the Library Catalogue
Subject searching for books using the library catalogue
All books acquired by the Library are assigned one or more
subject headings. These headings may be searched by
entering them in the catalogue with the prefix su:, e.g.
su:health. Please note some older publications are not fully
indexed and cannot be located through subject searching.
Most books will be found under the headings 'Health',
'Occupational therapy' or 'Physical therapy' (which has been used
for Physiotherapy). These headings are then further expanded and
- Health attitudes
- Health behaviour
These can then be further subdivided, e.g.
- Health education - Great Britain
- Health education - research
- Health policy
- Health promotion
- Health services
- Health services administration
Some further examples:
- Occupational therapy for children
- Occupational therapy for the mentally ill
- Occupational therapy services
- Occupational therapy-law and legislation
- Occupational therapy-research
- Physical therapy for the aged
- Physical therapy-methods
A related heading is 'Rehabilitation' and using this in a
subject search will locate:
- Mental disorders-rehabilitation
- Heart diseases-patients-rehabilitation
- Stroke patients-rehabilitation
Specific injuries can be found under the part of the body
followed by 'wounds and injuries' and then this can be further
added to, e.g.
- Brain-wounds and injuries
- Hand-wounds and injuries-treatment
- Spinal cord-wounds and injuries-patients-care
Other headings can be found under the specific term, e.g.
'Neurophysiology', and 'Neuropsychology'.
© Copyright 2013 Information Learning Services
Fountains Learning Centre, York St John University, Lord Mayor's Walk, York, YO31 7EX
T: 01904 876696 F: 01904 876324 E: firstname.lastname@example.org