We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible user experience. Disabling these cookies may prevent our site from working efficiently. To find out more about our cookies read our privacy policy.

Frequently Asked Questions

If your questions aren't answered here, please contact:

International admissions and course queries:

E: ysjinternational@yorksj.ac.uk T: +44 1904 876678FAQ

International student support and all other queries:

E: iss@yorksj.ac.uk T: +44 1904 876897



Q: What undergraduate courses do you offer?

A: York St John University offers a wide variety of Undergraduate courses. We also offer English language courses for Personal Development and Professional Development. We also offer Foundation and Pre-sessional Programmes to prepare students for undergraduate study in the UK.


Q: What postgraduate courses do you offer?

A: York St John University offers a wide variety of postgraduate courses. Find out more about the MA and MSc degree programmes York St John University offers.


Q: How do I apply to study at York St John University?

A: EU students should apply through UCAS where you can apply online. International (non-EU) students can also apply through UCAS or you can apply directly to York St John. Applying directly means that you will receive personal guidance and help throughout the admissions process. Please download an application form and learn more.


Q: Can international students study part-time?

A: No, international students who are from outside the EU will not usually be able to study part-time. In order to get a visa and gain entry clearance to study in the UK, you will have to be enrolled on a full-time course. Individual circumstances vary, so there may be exceptions.


Q: What are your English language requirements?

A: Find out more about our English language entry requirements here.


Q: Do I have to pay a deposit? When do I pay my fees?

A: All International (non-EU) applicants to the University must pay a 50% deposit before they are issued with an unconditional offer of a place to study at the University unless they are a sponsored student or paying through US or Norwegian state loans. The remaining 50% of the fee is due at enrolment. Please see the deposits policy for further details and for more information for sponsored students. Please also see the how to pay page for instructions on how to make your payment.

[back to top]


Q: Can I visit York St John University to have a look around?

A: Yes, of course! We welcome prospective students and visitors, and we encourage you to visit us and see if York St John University is right for you. We offer a number of Open Days and Visit Days throughout the year, but if you can't make those, please contact our YSJ International to make an appointment for an individual visit. You can reach us at ysjinternational@yorksj.ac.uk. Don't worry if you cannot visit York St John University as there is plenty of opportunity to view the University through the wide range of 360 degree tours available on the website.


Q: Can I get in touch with students currently studying at York St John University who are from my country?

A: Yes! We encourage prospective students to contact current YSJ students to ask questions and find out if YSJ is the right place for them. Please contact the International Office for details.


Q: Where can I find more information on living in the UK?

A: UKCISA is a great source of information for international students with advice on everything from opening a bank account in the UK to looking after your health.  Also check our Pre-Arrival information for useful information and resources.


Q: I'm arriving at Manchester airport, how can I get to York St John?

A: Within Manchester airport there is a train station where you can get direct trains to York.  Visit our How to find us web pages for more details on how to get to York. For train times check the National Rail Enquiries website. We offer airport collections at Manchester airport on arrivals days. For September 2014 Starters coaches will leave the airport at 10.30am, 2.30pm and 6.30pm on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 September only. The collections are FREE but you MUST book a place on the coach by completing the online Airport Collection Form.


Q: Can you tell me a little about what there is to do in York?

A: Whether you are into festivals, bands or ball-room dancing, you'll find it in the York Press. This local paper with a website provides information on all events happening in and around York. 

  • To find out about places of historical interest and beauty in the York area take a look at the York Tourist Board website.
  • Global Friends, the YSJU international society, organises trips and activities. 
  • YSJ International organise a range of social trips for International students to make the most out of their time in the UK and offers plenty of opportunity to explore York and the surrounding areas.

[back to top]

Q: How easy is it to travel to other places in the UK from York?

A: York is well linked for convenient travel north and south.  Travelling to Edinburgh takes 2 and a half hours by train and London takes around 2 hours by train.  As a student you are eligible to buy a "16-25 Railcard" that can discount you up to one third off train tickets. Please visit the 16-25 Railcard website. Train timetables and buying tickets online can be done at The Trainline website.


Q: How much will it cost me to contact my family from the UK?

A: Telephone, mobile and internet costs vary greatly depending on what deal you have, where you are contacting and the length of time you spend using phone /internet. Cable.co.uk is an impartial comparison website which shows you the best prices for student internet packages, as well as guidance on making cheap international calls and contacting home as an international student. Once you arrive in York, we will also be happy to show you how to find shops in the City centre where you can buy mobile/ internet packages.


Q: Do I need medical insurance?

A: If you are coming on a course of six months or shorter and are from outside of the EEA or Switzerland, you are not eligible under the National Health Service (NHS) and you should take out health insurance.  If you hold a passport of Switzerland or an EEA country, you must bring your European Health Insurance Card with you to the UK.

If you are coming on a course of longer than six months then you are eligible for health care under the NHS.  However you should note that prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests and glasses are not covered.  You can apply for a means tested exemption certificate that could grant you assistance with your health costs.  When you come to York St John you will register with our campus medical practice.


Q: Can I work when I am a student in the UK?

A: That depends on your immigration status.  A stamp or sticker in your passport will tell you if you are allowed to work or not. Normally students studying in the UK for less than six months will not be allowed to work. Students studying in the UK for longer than six months are usually allowed to work. There are exceptions to this policy. If you have a student visa and no stamps prohibiting you from work, you may work up to twenty hours per week during term-time.  The staff in Careers & Employability can assist you in finding a part-time job. For more information on working in the UK please consult the UKCISA website.


Q: When can I speak to a staff member of the International Student Support Team in person?

A: We hold daily drop-in sessions on the Student Advice Desk in the Holgate Building.  Just come by between 12pm and 1pm to see a member of the team.


[back to top]