We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible user experience. Disabling these cookies may prevent our site from working efficiently. To find out more about our cookies read our privacy policy.

Tier 4 (General) Visas

What is a Tier 4 (General) Visa?

All non-EU/EEA degree-seeking students will come to the UK on Tier 4 (General) Student Visas.

If unconditionally accepted onto a programme, York St John University will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) - an online record used to apply for a Tier 4 visa, and we will then be your sponsor in the UK.

Please note: before you can be issued with a CAS, you must meet all academic and English language conditions, PLUS you must pay a 50% tuition fees deposit. The remaining 50% of your tuition fees must be paid at enrolment before the start of your course. If your course is more than 1 year long, you will be expected to pay 50% of the next year's tuition at September re-enrolment and 50% at January re-enrolment for each subsequent year.


Applying for a Tier 4 Visa from Outside the UK

If you will be applying for Entry Clearance to come to the UK, you will be using the following Application Form

You will need to provide all original academic/English language qualification documents which were used to obtain your offer and your CAS. In addition, you will need to show any un-paid tuition fees PLUS £7,380 maintenance funds in your bank account for at least 28 days.

Most students who apply outside the UK will also have to undertake a Credibility Interview as part of the application process. It is essential that students know detailed information about their programmes of study before undertaking a Credibility Interview. All students should view this information by looking at the Programme Specification for their chosen course.

For more information about applying from outside the UK, please see the UK Visas & Immigration website: Applying for a Tier 4 visa outside the UK

For students applying from China: a video which takes you through the visa application process in China can be viewed here.

For students applying from India: it may be helpful for you view a video which takes you through the visa application process in India. The video can be viewed here.


Applying for a Tier 4 Visa from Inside the UK

If you are joining York St John from another UK institution (switching sponsors) or if you are applying for a visa extension to finish your current studies, this is called applying for Leave to Remain. All Leave to Remain applications are handled through our visa advisors. Once the advisors have approved your application form and supporting documents, you will be given your new CAS. All applications will be sent to the Home Office from the University.

For more information about applying for Tier 4 Leave to Remain, please see the UK Visas & Immigration website: Applying for a Tier 4 visa from inside the UK

Students seeking advice about their in-UK applications can also contact the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) helpline. The helpline is open Monday to Friday from 1pm to 4pm.

UKCISA Helpline number: 0207 1079922 (from within the UK only)

The UKCISA website also provides helpful and up-to-date information for international students, this includes information about working during and after your studies.


Any questions?

If you have any questions about making a Tier 4 application from inside OR outside of the UK, or if you wish to set up an appointment to speak to an advisor, E: visa@yorksj.ac.uk