We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible user experience. Disabling these cookies may prevent our site from working efficiently. To find out more about our cookies read our privacy policy.

Useful information for International Students

Please see the links to information and guides for students studying in York.


General advice

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website – providing advice and information for international students.


Living in the UK

ukstudentlife.com website – a website containing all kinds of information about living and studying in the UK, for international students.


Places to visit

Visit York website - information about the City of York, including sights, food and drink, local attractions and leisure facilities.

Visit Britain website - tips and destinations to visit while you are in the UK.

City of York Council, Sport and active leisure website - information on local sports and leisure facilities.


Social programmes and excursions

Global Friends - is a YSJ society which aims to make all international students feel at home and have a wonderful time at the University and in York

York St John University Student's Union website - find out what's going on in your Students' Union.

YSJ Online store website - for YSJ International trips and excursions



Department of Transport website - information for drivers in the UK.

National Rail Enquiries website - train travel information for the UK.

The Highway Code, government website – essential info for everyone, especially if you plan to drive or cycle in the UK.

16 – 25 Railcard website – get 1/3 off the cost of all train travel for just £65 per year! Also available to over 25’s studying on a full time course.



Home Office UK Border Agency website – information on applying for a visa to study in the UK, and extending your student visa. If you are studying at York St John and need to extend your visa, please contact our International Student Advisor for help and advice.


Working in the UK

The British Council website – working while you study in the UK.