We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible user experience. Disabling these cookies may prevent our site from working efficiently. To find out more about our cookies read our privacy policy.


 japanese flag

York St John University welcomes students from Japan

York St John University has welcomed students from Japan for many years, and we have a number of links with organisations and institutions in Japan. Our aim is to ensure that your time here is as enjoyable and successful as you can make it.

We provide a range of services for international students including an Orientation Week, academic and English language support, guaranteed accommodation, and a dedicated international student services team, all designed to help you be your best.

Full Entry Criteria Meet us in Your Country Enquiry Form Agent Details



Academic Requirements*

English language

Foundation Year/4-year degree

High school leaving certificate –







High school leaving certificate and successful completion of a Foundation programme


Junior College, Associates Degree

International Baccalaureate (IB)







Minimum 24 points



Step Pre-1, TOEIC 730

From a recognised university


A four-year Bachelors degree



Step Pre-1, TOEIC 730

* All students are required to send full transcripts in English with their applications.  This is intended as a guide only.  Some programmes will have specific subject or practical requirements. Some programmes may require a portfolio and/or interview. Details of specific requirements can be found on the individual course pages for each of the programmes.


For more information about studying in the UK, IELTS or working abroad please see the British Council Website


Visa requirements

For visa information please visit the Visa and Immigration page.


What course should I study to improve my level of English?

The general English language entry requirements to Bachelors and Masters programmes for students whose first language is not English are normally as follows:

  • IELTS - 6.0 overall, with at least a 5.5 in listening and reading and 5.0 in speaking and writing


Depending on your English language level, you can enter academic pathway courses leading on to Bachelors or Masters programmes.

Entry levels are as follows:

You have IELTS

You need IELTS

The course you should take



Pre-sessional or Pre-Masters course



Foundation Year

A GCSE or iGCSE in English (minimum ‘C’ grade) can be accepted instead of IELTS. 

York St John University accepts all 'Secure English Language Tests (SELT) approved by the Home Office to meet English Language requirements. For full details of all SELT please see the Home Office Website. Please note that a valid SELT is required for entry to the Presessional Programmes and the International Foundation Programme (IFP).

More information about our Foundation Year, Pre-sessional Pathways and General English courses can be found on our What can I study? page under the heading English Language Studies and Pathway programmes.