Projects undertaken during the 2012-13 academic year under
the auspices of LIdIA, with partners from a variety of UK and
overseas universities, include the following:
- A Critical Thematic
Analysis of York's Hidden Stories. PIs: Dasha Zhurauskaya and
Rachel Wicaksono. Funded by YSJ, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
and Comic Relief.
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment in the
Multilingual Classroom. PIs: Rosie Hedger and Rachel
Wicaksono. Funded by YSJ.
- English as a Lingua Franca in Higher Education: Developing
English language teachers’ awareness worldwide. PIs: Hall and
Wicaksono (YSJ); research partners: Shu Liu, Yuan Qian, Xu
Xiaoqing (Suzhou University of Science and Technology, China),
Khawla Badwan (Islamic University of Gaza, Palestine). Funded in
part by the British Council and YSJ.
- Getting Stuff Done: E-mail Requests from Students in Higher
Education. PIs: Merrison (YSJ), Bethan L. Davies (University
of Leeds); co-Investigator: Michael Haugh (Griffith University,
Brisbane); RA: Jack J. Wilson (University of Leeds). Funded in part
- Interaction and Identity for the Post-Privacy
Generation. PI: Geesin (YSJ) Funded in part by YSJ.
- Interpreting Task-Oriented Discourse between Deaf and
Hearing Participants. PIs: Merrison (YSJ), Graham H. Turner
(Heriot-Watt University), Bethan L. Davies (University of Leeds),
Gary Quinn (Heriot-Watt University). Funded in part by YSJ and
- Introducing ‘Using Language’: an introduction to a Clarkian
perspective on Language in Use. PI: Merrison (YSJ). RAs: Jack
J. Wilson (University of Leeds), Helen Phillips (YSJ), Hazel Price
(YSJ), Eliot Andersen (YSJ), Rich Durie (YSJ), Chloe Langford
(YSJ), Jess Farhadian (YSJ).
- Raising awareness of English as a lingua franca: an online
tutorial for students in UK universities. Pl: Wicaksono (YSJ).
Funded by the Higher Education Academy and YSJ.
- Reflections on face, commitment and identity in an online
Christian forum. PI: Jack J. Wilson (University of Leeds);
Merrison (YSJ) and Sage Lambert Graham (University of Memphis).
Funded in part by YSJ.
- The discursive construction of neoliberal values in
university mission statements. PIs: Sauntson (YSJ) and Liz
Morrish (University of Birmingham).
- When wor(l)ds collide: an analysis of student face and
identity management in online assessed discussion forums. PI:
Gilroy (YSJ); co-Investigators: Merrison (YSJ) and Angela Goddard
(formerly YSJ). Funded in part by YSJ.