* subject to revalidation this academic year.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
Candidates for the Postgraduate Diploma must
normally fulfil the following entry requirements.
- Possess a degree from York St John University or any other
approved university or institution of higher education
- possess a professional qualification and/or experience which is
recognized by the University as equivalent of a first degree
through its procedures for recognition of prior certificated or
- Have satisfactorily completed a Certificate in Counselling
- Have experience of the use of counselling skills at work, in
education or the helping professions or in voluntary agencies.
- Be able to fulfil the supervised counselling practice
- Demonstrate the conceptual ability to engage with academic
study at postgraduate level.
- (Applicants whose first language is not English:) Possess IELTS
band score 6 or its equivalent
does it cost?
The fees are subject to review.
Please visit our
tuition fees webpage for up-to-date information
A 10% discount is applicable to all YSJU
Alumni undertaking PG level study
How do I apply?
Applications can be made using the button
below. For help completing the online application, please
refer to our guide.
Candidates will be short-listed on the basis of a
written application. Short-listed candidates will be invited to a
selection day which will include observed skills practice
session, individual interviews and a written exercise.
Interviews will take place throughout the academic year until all
the places have been allocated.
Please note that applications are only reviewed
once they are complete with references. If you have recently
undertaken or are currently undertaking a counselling training
course, please include your course tutor as one referee.
How can I
find out more?
To find out more, please contact the Subject
Administrator for Counselling
T: 01904 876675