Prior to the examination
- Students shall assemble outside the examination room at least
20 minutes before the published start time.
- Students are required to take their student ID cards into the
- Students shall not enter the examination room until instructed
to do so by the invigilator.
- Attendance lists with the module number and title, student
number, student name and seat number will be displayed outside the
examination rooms immediately prior to the start of an examination
The start of the examination
- Students will be admitted to the examination room a few minutes
before the time indicated on the timetable.
- They must enter in silence.
- Students must leave all bags and books not required in the
examination in the area identified by the invigilator, they cannot
be placed near the students’ desks.
- Students are not permitted to have mobile phones with them
during the examination. Phones must be left in the students’
bags or on the invigilator’s desk and must be turned off.
- Students must ensure they occupy only the correct seat as
indicated on the seating plan and must place their student ID card
on the desk clearly visible for the invigilator to check.
- Students must bring pens and, if they wish, pencils, erasers
and similar items. Students may also be permitted or required to
bring with them additional instruments, books or
materials. Details of such arrangements will be announced
beforehand by the module leader.
- Battery operated calculators are permitted in all examinations
unless specifically precluded by a statement in the rubric of the
examination paper. Students must provide their own machines
and are responsible for ensuring that they are in good working
order. Invigilators may check calculators to ensure they are
of an appropriate type. A student should check with the
invigilator if in doubt as to the appropriateness of the
During the examination
- No student shall be allowed to leave during the first 30
minutes or the last 10 minutes of the examination.
- Students shall use only the approved examination
- Students must not introduce into the examination room or have
in their possession any book, paper, material or instrument,
whether it is used or not, except as required or permitted under
the rubric of the examination.
- A student who is unwell or who needs to leave the examination
room for any reason deemed adequate by the invigilator may do so
under the supervision of an invigilator and return whilst the
examination is in progress. A student who leaves the
examination room unaccompanied shall not be allowed to re-enter the
- Silence must be observed in the examination room at all
times. Students shall conduct themselves in a manner that will
not cause disturbance to other students in the examination
- Students shall not communicate with other students by word of
mouth, sign, writing or any other means and shall not attempt to
read the work of other students. If a student is suspected of
cheating the matter will be investigated and considered in
accordance with the Regulations.
At the conclusion of the examination
- Students shall remain silent and seated until instructed to
leave the examination room.
- Students shall cease writing their answers when instructed to
do so and shall ensure that their scripts, named continuation
sheets and rough work are attached together ready for collection by
- Students must complete the front page as required by the rubric
on the answer book. This will include the student number of
the student ID card. The student must anonymise the
examination script by sticking down the glued portion of the script
book at the end of the examination to conceal the name as
instructed by the invigilator.
- Students shall not remove any item supplied for the
- Students will leave the room only on the instruction of the