We use cookies on our website to provide you with the best possible user experience. Disabling these cookies may prevent our site from working efficiently. To find out more about our cookies read our privacy policy.

Enrolment FAQs

Enrolling online

Where can I get help with online enrolment?

If you have any problems with the online enrolment process, please e-mail the enrolment helpdesk at registry@yorksj.ac.uk. We will answer your queries as soon as possible.

Alternatively you can call Registry on 01904 876846 or 01904 876849 between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday. To help us, please quote your Student ID number in all correspondence.


Can I enrol any way other than online?


Enrolment with York St John University will take place online for all new and returning students that study at Lord Mayor’s Walk campus, unless you are a disabled student who cannot access the online enrolment system.


I have a disability that prevents me from registering online. What should I do?

If you require support with the online enrolment process, or would like to discuss alternative methods of enrolment, please contact the Disability Advice Team for advice at disabilityadvice@yorksj.ac.uk. Alternatively, you can call them on 01904 876540 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.


I am unable to access the internet in order to enrol. What should I do?

If you do not have access to the internet at home, your local library or community centre may be able to help. If you cannot access a PC or the internet before you arrive, then you can enrol on your arrival at the University. Limited PC facilities will be available on campus, in the Holgate Student Centre and the Fountains Learning Centre.


I am unsure of the information I am being asked to provide online. What can I do?

If you are unsure about the information you are being asked to provide, please do the following:

  • read the appropriate section of this guide
  • read any help text on the relevant online screen
  • if still unclear, please e-mail the enrolment helpdesk at registry@yorksj.ac.uk or call Registry on 01904 876846 or 01904 876849 between 9am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.


Do I need to enrol by a certain date?


The deadline for enrolment and re-enrolment is one month after the start of your programme. After that date, if enrolment or re-enrolment has not been completed, you will be deemed to have withdrawn and IT and Library access will be cut off.


Why must I complete online enrolment before arriving at York St John?

You should complete online enrolment before arriving at York St John to avoid:

  • delays in your Student ID card being issued
  • delays in being able to access University facilities
  • delays in payment of your first student loan instalment, if appropriate
  • having to queue when you arrive to complete the online enrolment process.


Usernames and passwords

I am a returning student and have forgotten my University username and password. What should I do?

If you have forgotten your password, you can use the Change Password screen at www.yorksj.ac.uk/changepassword to have a new password e-mailed to the personal (ie non-University) e-mail address we hold for you.

If you do not have a personal e-mail address recorded on our system, visit the Student Advice Team in the Holgate Student Centre or, if you are not regularly on campus, we can send it to you via post.

When choosing a new password, do not use a password you have used previously.


ID cards

Do I have to enrol before I can get a Student ID card?


In order to be issued with a Student ID card you must have successfully completed online enrolment.


Do I need a new ID card for each year of study?


Your York St John University Student ID card will last for the duration of your programme. If you change your programme of study, or take time out, this may have an impact on the duration of your study, and you should contact the Student Advice Team in the Holgate Student Centre to be issued with a new Student ID card.


Fees and finance

Can I register with an outstanding balance from a previous academic year?


If your debt is a £100 or greater you will not be permitted to re-enrol. For the details of the amount outstanding go onto your Student Record page on e:Vision and click on 'Statement details'. You will be able to make a payment by debit or credit card from this page.

If you are unable to make a payment, please contact the Finance Department at finance@yorksj.ac.uk with your proposed payment plan.


Do I have to pay my fees in full in order to register?


If you do not want to pay your tuition fees in full you have the option of paying by direct debit or applying for a tuition fee loan via your funding body.


What do I need to do if I am sponsored?

If you have already notified us that someone else is paying your fees, during the enrolment process you will be shown the balance the sponsor will pay us on your behalf and the amount you will need to pay.

If you have told us about your sponsor and the details do not appear on the screen, you should send us a query with the relevant details, below, using the query box on the screen. If you have not told us about your sponsor you will not be able to continue with the enrolment process until you do.

You should e-mail us on finance@yorksj.ac.uk and tell us:

  • sponsor’s name
  • sponsor’s address
  • the name of the person we should contact
  • the amount you think they have agreed to pay
  • your student number.


I have applied for a tuition fee loan. Why are you still asking me to pay my tuition fees to the University?

The Student Loans Company will inform us the amount of loan you have applied for and the enrolment process will show any balance you may have to pay.

If the SLC has not yet informed us of your loan, we cannot include this information in our process. If this happens, we need you to fill in a tuition direct debit to cover the liability. This will be amended once we have the loan information, and you will receive a refund if appropriate.



When and how will I be able to see my teaching timetable?

Your timetable will be available to view from the timetable website, www.yorksj.ac.uk/timetable. If you have not yet enrolled, you will not be able to view a timetable. Similarly if you haven’t made all your module selections your timetable online will be incomplete. As a guideline, expect to see module choices and changes to be reflected in the timetable 24 hours after you have made the choice/change.

You can choose to view timetables for the modules/programmes/rooms you are interested in, as well as your personal timetable (to do this you will need your student number), or timetables for your student group (PGCE, some QTS etc). More information can be found on the timetable website.

The timetable as published is the definitive version. You should rely on this unless specifically instructed otherwise. Please address any queries initially to your programme administrator; they will be able to either advise you on the spot or refer the issue to the Timetable Office. If you do need to contact the Timetable Office, you may do so via email at timetable@yorksj.ac.uk.



Where can I find more information on University policies and procedures?

All our student-related policies and procedures, including our Student Experience Partnership document and our Terms and Conditions document, are accessible online.

Links to key information is also available on our Student Homepage at www.yorksj.ac.uk/student.