York St John History

York St John is the oldest higher education institution in York and has been at the forefront of Teaching and Education for over 175 years.

1841:

Opening of York Training School by the Diocesan Boards of education Ripon and for York, St John’s College

1862:

Opening of Ripon College for Young Women’s Teachers, St Margaret’s College

1920:

St John’s College establishes first links with the university

1953:

A crest, incorporating the eagle of St John and the Crossed Keys of the Arch Diocese of York, and the College motto ‘Ut Vitam Habeant et Abundantius’ (that they have life and have it more abundantly) are both approved by the College of Heralds

1975:

The Separate colleges of Ripon and York are merged to form the college of Ripon and York St John, the teacher education curriculum begins to diversify in the liberal arts, with degrees awarded through the University of Leeds

1977:

The College incorporates the York School of Occupational Therapy

1989:

First York Minster Degree Ceremony

2002:

Higher York Memorandum of Agreement is signed, between the University of York, York College, Askham Bryan College and York St John College, to widen learning opportunities and support the skills agenda for York and North Yorkshire

2004:

Higher York secures designation and funding as a Lifelong Learning Network

2005:

Taught Degree Awarding Powers are confirmed by Privy Council following detailed QAA security over a two year period

2006:

The new name York St John University College was introduced. Privy Council approval to become a university was subsequently received and then the official title of York St John University was implemented on 1 October 2006