The Academic Alliances department works in partnership with employers and individuals in the business community to provide workforce development solutions, including higher and degree apprenticeships and accredited training and learning opportunities.
If you have any questions or concerns then please contact us at: Academic Alliances, York St John’s University, Lord Mayor’s Walk, York, YO31 7EX or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Academic Alliances department is part of York St John University and the University is the Data Controller. Full details of the University’s data protection policies are available here:
Privacy Law states we must have a lawful basis for processing your information; the legal basis will vary depending on the circumstances of how and why we have your information. York St John University processes the information it collects about you under the lawful basis of ‘legitimate interests’ communicating the services, benefits and opportunities that we offer in relation to your business and to keep you updated about the University.
Your data is held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and any other relevant legal requirements and we are committed to respecting and keeping safe any data you share with us, or that we collect from other sources.
Data is collected through contact with us via email or by telephone, or if you interact with other departments or schools within the University. We may also collect and store information if you register to attend one of our events, or provide us with your data for any other purpose. We may also use publicly available information in order to research your business to ensure that any communications we have with you are relevant and legitimate.
All business information is stored on our corporate system on secure IT servers. We operate a suite of IT and security policies to ensure your information is kept secure, including appropriate access and auditing controls. We use anti-virus software and fire walls to protect against cyber-attack. We also operate strict physical security across the campus and throughout all staff.
We have a legal duty to ensure your data is up to date and relevant and we aim to periodically check that your details are correct and to update where necessary.
We do not currently use any third parties to update your data on our behalf and any future policy will be compliant with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) guidelines and updated on these pages.
The data we collect and store on businesses and key business contacts allows us to pursue legitimate business interests and includes:
• Contact details, such as name, job title, email and postal address and telephone number
• Information on your engagement with the University: meetings, events, procurement of training provision
• Comments, feedback and areas of particular interest for future exploration with the university
We may use your information to:
• keep you updated with new opportunities available from York St John University and news from the Academic Alliances department
• invite you to relevant events regarding apprenticeships and other business-related networking events
• administer, support, improve and develop our business generally
We assess your data to ensure all communications are relevant. This may be by looking at your geographical location, industry sector, previous events attended or other engagement with the University. If we intend to use your information for a different purpose, we will do so in ways consistent with Privacy Law or, wherever possible, by notifying you in advance.
Your data can only be accessed by the Academic Alliances and Database teams and all staff take robust mandatory data protection training.
We may pass your information to third-party providers for the purpose of delivering services to you, for instance sub-contracted provision of training. Any third parties we employ must provide evidence of their Data Protection policies. We don’t share or sell your data to third parties for their own purposes unless we are required to do so by law.
When working with third parties it is possible that some data may be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). We will ensure all third parties guarantee to provide protection in accordance with UK data protection law.
We only keep your information for as long as we need it. Should you request your data be erased, we will safely dispose of all information. We will continue to retain a core set of l data (company and individual contact) to ensure we do not contact you again.
You have the right to:
• Be kept informed as to how we use your data (via this Privacy Notice)
• Access or request a copy of the data we hold about you via a Subject Access Request
• Update, amend or rectify the data we hold about you
• Ask us to remove your data from our records
• Object to or restrict the processing of your information for any of the purposes outlined above
• Complaints: We take any complaints concerning your privacy very seriously. If you think our collection or use of your data is unfair, misleading or inappropriate, please bring it to our attention and we will be happy to provide any explanations needed. If we believe there is an overriding compelling reason to continue the processing, we will explain why we think this is. We will action any requests to stop direct marketing as soon as we receive your objection.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
You can find more information about your privacy rights on the Information Commissioner’s Office website www.ico.org.uk
York St John University takes our legal responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 1998 very seriously. Therefore when this Act is updated, revised or replaced we will review our data processing practices and update our privacy policies accordingly. We will also review this notice regularly as part of our internal processes or as our services, activities or processes change.
Last updated on: 02 May 2018