Online half day workshop aimed at professionals working within mental health.
‘Compassion fatigue’ is a term used to describe the emotional impact of engaging with people in distress. It explains the way that we can be changed and affected by empathising with others who have experienced stressful life events. This workshop is designed to create a space for workers to reflect on themselves and develop strategies to be able to continue their work as effectively as possible in the future.
- Duration – 3 hour webinar
- Start date – Contact us for further information using the form below.
Facilitator - Dr Jennie Ormerod
£70 For self-funded individuals
Who should attend?
Health care staff, social care staff, mental health professionals, third sector organisations working within mental health, anyone who works with people who have gone through adverse life experiences or are in distress. This course will suit the following levels*:
- Newly qualified
- Mid career professional
- New manager
- Experienced practitioner
- Experienced manager
*Would suit all except those who are already experienced in this specific area.
What difference will the course make to...
Attendees: Enhance their understanding of compassion fatigue, its potential effects and how to address it.
Their work: Improve their self-awareness and self-care.
Their employer/service: Enhance delivery of services.
What will attendees learn?
Aims of the workshop:
- Provide an understanding of what compassion fatigue is.
- Provide an opportunity to see whether you are experiencing compassion fatigue.
- Share the impact of your work on yourself with others.
- To provide an understanding of why working with people in distress has an impact on us at a physiological level.
- To provide ways to both prevent and transform the effects of compassion fatigue in your work.
- To enable you to provide your own self-care plan for the future.
Course leader biographies
Dr Jennie Ormerod is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist. Jennie works part time in the NHS as a staff support Psychologist within Leeds Hospitals and part time in private practice providing therapy, clinical supervision and teaching.
She has over 20 years' experience of working with complex trauma and previously worked as Clinical Lead of a Specialist trauma service for 10 years. Compassion Fatigue is a particular area of interest and Jennie has run workshops for over 15 years in this area.