Support for Learning in Practice for Healthcare Professionals
Find out about both the full Support for Learning in Practice (SLiP) course and the refresher course. We deliver our courses through live online sessions.
These non-accredited online courses aim to prepare and update the knowledge and skills of registered health professionals involved with the education of students on placement. The aim of both courses is to provide an effective placement learning experience.
- Level and Credits – Non-accredited
- Duration – Full course 9:30am to 1:30pm, Refresher course 9:30am to 12:00pm
Facilitators Andrew Powley, Fiona Howlett, Robert Avery and Rachel Martin
Free For those who agree to offer placements to 2 students per year.
The full SLiP course is for those who are new to practice education and who have not previously completed a SLiP course.
The SLiP refresher is for those who have already attended a SLiP course and are building on their existing knowledge and skills of practice education. Typical attendance is every 2 to 3 years, dependant on your organisational policy.
We will deliver all the courses online using Microsoft Teams. You will need to download the Teams App in advance of your training, and you will receive a weblink to instructions as part of your booking confirmation.
You will register on YSJ Learn to access course resources and a CPD certificate of attendance once you have completed the course.
What you will learn
On this course you will explore the role of practice education. You will:
- Learn to create an effective learning environment with reference to learning and teaching theories
- Develop existing interpersonal skills in relation to supervision and coaching
- Identify individual learning needs and set SMART learning objectives
- Reflect on the boundaries of professional roles in supporting learning, teaching and assessment
- Explore strategies to address challenging scenarios
- Examine the role of assessment and feedback.
Course dates and times
- The full SLiP course will run on the second Wednesday of every month between 9:30am and 1:30pm
- The SLiP refresher course will run on the fourth Wednesday of every month between 9:30am and 12:00pm.
Book onto a course date that suits you using our Microsoft booking form.
Fees and course requirements
These courses are:
- Open to registered Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists
- CPD certified so you will receive a CPD certificate of attendance
- Free of charge to those accepting students on placements.
We expect those who attend the course to offer placements for at least 2 students over a 12 month period each year.
Need more information?
Fill out our form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.