This one day introduction to Motivational Interviewing, a collaborative goal-oriented style of communication is designed to introduce the theory as well as offering the opportunity to practice. It offers a simple framework to enable attendees to have more purposeful, productive conversations with their service users by eliciting service users motivation and own arguments for change.
- York St John University
- Course fees
- Fee £95. Funded places are available
- One-day study day
- Monday 4 March 2019
- Course Leader
- Jayne Hildreth
- Level and Credit:
- Study Day
What will I learn?
- Develop an understanding of Motivational Interviewing (MI) and the stages of change
- Understand the role of behaviour and attitudinal change, and generate motivation in service users
- Develop a repertoire of skills to enhance their work including:
- Use of language
- Art of questions
- Active listening and communication skills
- To enhance ability to apply learning to practice
Who should attend?
All people working in helping professions.
How will it benefit my work?
- More effective interventions with their service users resulting in more successful outcomes
- To be more flexible in their approach meeting the different needs of services users
- Employees feeling more empowered and motivated in their role with service users
Further information on this course is available in the programme specification. Please note that the programme specification relates to course content that is currently being studied by students at the University. For new programmes, the programme specification will be made available online prior to the start of the course.
York St John University works hard to create an inclusive environment for all our students. We offer a range of disability advice services to assist students throughout their studies.
Visit York St John.
Discover life as a York St John student by visiting us. You’ll be able to explore our beautiful city-centre campus, meet our friendly staff and find out more about your chosen course.Visit us
Fees and funding
Funded places are available
UK & EU 2019 / 20
Overseas 2019 / 20
Course leader biographies
Jayne Hildreth is a qualified coach, counsellor, supervisor and facilitator. She has many years’ experience working with individuals and teams and is passionate about the process of sustainable change. Jayne is an experienced and engaging facilitator who promotes a relaxed participative learning environment and delivers high quality and dynamic training. She has worked at The University of Hull and University East London creating and delivering undergraduate and post graduate programmes.
Ask a question
Do you have a question about this course? Fill out our form to send a question to our Professional Development Team.