Business & Economics BA (Hons) Top Up
The Business & Economics BA (Hons) Top Up course will allow you to develop an understanding of the principles of business and economics across a range of situations and settings.
Develop an understanding of the principles of business and economics across a range of situations and settings. Form the skills and knowledge to make informed decisions which impact on business and wider society, with a key focus on understanding how economies work.
- UCAS Code – N1L4
- Duration – 1 year full-time
- Start date – September 2019
- School – York Business School
York Business School
Given the recent changes in economic policy and global uncertainty, this degree programme challenges you to engage with existing and newly-formed economic theories and to analyse the theoretical relevance of various concepts in the modern day business environment.
You will develop an understanding of how economics impacts on business at both a national level and in the international arena, which is relevant whether you are interested in working in business, government or the voluntary sector. Our programmes are focussed on the application of ideas to the solution of real-life situations and scenarios.
David Kelsey - Course Leader
- International Political Economy & Development
- Contemporary Business Economics
- Independent research project
You will also undertake an Independent Research activity which may take one of the following forms:
- Business Research Project
- Organisation-Based Project
Optional Modules may include:
- Developing E-Commerce
- Operations and Project Management
- Organisational Strategy & Decision Making
- Leadership, Innovation and Change
- Contemporary Issues in the Technological Era
Equivalence to two years study at a UK HEI equating to 240 credits (e.g. HND, Foundation Degree) in a Business and Economics related qualification.
Admissions policies and procedures are designed to ensure that students who meet the minimum criteria for entry set by YSJU are eligible for admission to the programme. All applicants will be expected to have a minimum level qualification comparable to students at York St John University who have completed level 2.
Entrants to the programme will therefore have the equivalent of 240 credits with a minimum of 120 at level 2. Accepted example qualifications are:
- HND Business
- Level 5 Diploma in Management (QCF/NQF) from a recognised Professional Body
- FdA in Business Management or equivalent from a UK HEI
- International qualifications (equivalent UK Diploma in HE) approved via the NARIC database and in line with common competitor practice, for example:
- Diploma In Business Administration at Nilai University College, Malaysia
Non UK applicants whose home language is not English must be able to demonstrate a proficiency in English equivalent to IELTS band score of 6 overall, with not less than 5.5 in any section in line with university policy.
As well as a strong standard of written English, we also look for an interest and enthusiasm for the subject. This can be done in a variety of ways, either from an academic viewpoint, for example prior study, or through relevant experience.
Candidates can demonstrate a real enthusiasm for the subject that goes beyond achieving good grades in exams. Examples of this include:
- Career plans
- Attending workshops or seminars related to the chosen subject area
- Showing leadership and teamwork skills through project work or awards such as the Duke of Edinburgh
- Candidates may also look to undertake professional qualifications such as accounting qualifications or CIPD
Terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions, policies and procedures contain important information about studying at York St John University. These can be accessed through our Admissions webpages.