Business Information Management BA (Hons) Top Up
Business Information Management will help you to acquire the management skills necessary to help you manage information within organisations and solve business problems.
Acquire the management skills necessary to help you manage information within organisations and solve business problems, with a particular focus on a software approach to business information systems. This degree programme is aimed at students who wish to work in a management role within the technology-based sector.
- UCAS Code – P1N2
- Location – York campus
- Duration – 1 year full-time
- Start date – September 2019
- School – York Business School
York Business School
Our aim is to provide you with management skills to help you manage information within organisations and solve business problems. This degree will give you an opportunity to develop the management skills with a particular focus upon a software approach to business information systems.
Our graduates leave us equipped to go into a wide range of careers, including business process analysis and engineering, technical consultancy and general information technology-related business positions.
Develop the skills to interact between the technical facet of an organisation and its leadership function. This degree has a strong focus on the management of information and the use of technology within business, including modules such as eBusiness and developing eCommerce applications, whilst also developing project management skills. Alongside modules developing your technical skills you will also have the opportunity to build the managerial skills and knowledge to be an effective manager and will have the opportunity to study Microsoft Office Specialist qualifications to complement your studies.
- Operations and Project Management
- Leadership, Innovation and Change
- Independent research project
You will also undertake an Independent Research activity which may take one of the following forms:
- Business Research Project
- Organisation-Based Project
Optional modules include:
- Managing Organisational Development
- Contemporary Issues in the Technological Era
- Developing E-Commerce
Equivalence to two years study at a UK HEI equating to 240 credits (e.g. HND, Foundation Degree) in an Accounting and Finance related qualification.
All applicants will be expected to have a minimum level qualification comparable to students at York St John University who have completed level 2.
Entrants to the programme will therefore have the equivalent of 240 credits with a minimum of 120 at level 2. Accepted example qualifications are:
- HND Business (Finance) - (2003 specification version)
- HND Business (Accounting) - (2010 specification version)
- HND Business (but must have achieved units 2, 9 & 10)
- ACCA Advanced Diploma in Accounting
- AIA Level 5 Certificate in Accounting
- FdA in Accounting or equivalent from a UK HEI
- International qualifications (equivalent UK Diploma in HE) approved via the NARIC database and in line with common competitor practice, for example:
- Diploma in Accounting at Central University of Finance and Economics, China
- Diploma In Business Administration at Nilai University College, China
Non UK applicants whose home language is not English must be able to demonstrate a proficiency in English equivalent to IELTS band score of 6 overall, with not less than 5.5 in any section in line with university policy.
As well as a strong standard of written English, we also look for an interest and enthusiasm for the subject. This can be done in a variety of ways, either from an academic viewpoint, for example prior study, or through relevant experience.
Candidates can demonstrate a real enthusiasm for the subject that goes beyond achieving good grades in exams. Examples of this include:
- Career plans
- Attending workshops or seminars related to the chosen subject area
- Showing leadership and teamwork skills through project work or awards such as the Duke of Edinburgh
- Candidates may also look to undertake professional qualifications such as accounting qualifications or CIPD
Terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions, policies and procedures contain important information about studying at York St John University. These can be accessed through our Admissions webpages.
Fees and funding
To study for an undergraduate degree with us, you will need to pay tuition fees for your course. How much you pay will depend on whether you're a UK & EU student or an international (non-EU) student. Tuition fees are charged for each year of your course.
Find out more about funding for Foundation Year and/or Placement Year by visiting the Funding Advice pages of our website. York St John offer special reductions to students graduating from York St John University Undergraduate degrees in 2019 and continuing directly onto Postgraduate study. Find out more about discounts and scholarships. There may also be some additional costs to take into account throughout your studies, including the cost of accommodation
Home / EU students
The York St John University tuition fee for the 2019 entry to Foundation Degree, BA and BSc, PGCE Primary and Secondary and UG Health Programme degrees is £9,250 per year for UK/EU, Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man students.
Tuition fees may be subject to inflation in future years.
The York St John University tuition fee for the 2019 entry to Foundation Degree, BA and BSc, PGCE degrees is £12,750 per year for international students.
Tuition fees may be subject to inflation in future years.
Additional costs and financial support
Whilst studying for your degree, there may be additional costs related to your course. This may include purchasing personal equipment and stationery, books and optional field trips.
For more information on tuition fee reductions and additional costs for studying abroad, please visit our study abroad webpages.