Business Studies BA (Hons) Top Up
Business Studies is a great opportunity to study a broad range of different business areas, whilst developing specialist knowledge.
The BA (Hons) Business Studies Top Up provides opportunity for students with prior related qualifications to engage in a challenging programme leading to an Honours level award.
- UCAS Code – N1W4
- Duration – 1 year full-time
- Start date – September 2019
- School – York Business School
York Business School
Business Studies is a great opportunity to study a broad range of different business areas, whilst developing specialist knowledge. It is ideal if you are seeking a course which allows you flexibility in which aspects of business you study.
This degree will give you the opportunity to develop the skills and perspectives and gain valuable experience in understanding business situations. Ultimately it is about developing skills that will help you succeed in the business arena.
Christine O'Dea - Course Leader
The course gives you maximum flexibility to choose from a range of modules which suit your preferences. You may wish to study modules in business functional areas such as marketing, finance and HR or in applied areas such as tourism or events. On this course you will be taught by a range of staff with relevant expertise and knowledge appropriate to the content of the modules. This will include senior academic staff and qualified professional practitioners.
- Independent research project
You will also undertake an Independent Research activity which may take one of the following forms:
- Business Research Project
- Organisation-Based Project
Optional modules may include:
- Operations and Project Management
- Organisational Strategy & Decision Making
- Tourism Policy and Planning
- Contemporary Business Economics
- Globalisation and Contemporary HR
- Developing E-Commerce
- Leadership, Innovation and Change
- Business Ethics and CSR
- Contemporary Issues in the Technological Era
- International Marketing
Equivalence to two years study at a UK HEI equating to 240 credits (e.g. HND, Foundation Degree) in an Accounting and Finance related qualification.
All applicants will be expected to have a minimum level qualification comparable to students at York St John University who have completed level 2.
Entrants to the programme will therefore have the equivalent of 240 credits with a minimum of 120 at level 2. Accepted example qualifications are:
- HND Business (Finance) - (2003 specification version)
- HND Business (Accounting) - (2010 specification version)
- HND Business (but must have achieved units 2, 9 & 10)
- ACCA Advanced Diploma in Accounting
- AIA Level 5 Certificate in Accounting
- FdA in Accounting or equivalent from a UK HEI
- International qualifications (equivalent UK Diploma in HE) approved via the NARIC database and in line with common competitor practice, for example:
- Diploma in Accounting at Central University of Finance and Economics, China
- Diploma In Business Administration at Nilai University College, China
Non UK applicants whose home language is not English must be able to demonstrate a proficiency in English equivalent to IELTS band score of 6 overall, with not less than 5.5 in any section in line with
As well as a strong standard of written English, we also look for an interest and enthusiasm for the subject. This can be done in a variety of ways, either from an academic viewpoint, for example prior study, or through relevant experience.
Candidates can demonstrate a real enthusiasm for the subject that goes beyond achieving good grades in exams. Examples of this include:
- Career plans
- Attending workshops or seminars related to the chosen subject area
- Showing leadership and teamwork skills through project work or awards such as the Duke of Edinburgh
- Candidates may also look to undertake professional qualifications such as accounting qualifications or CIPD
Terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions, policies and procedures contain important information about studying at York St John University. These can be accessed through our Admissions webpages.