The Media Loans system allows students and staff on the York campus to book iPads, recorders, video cameras, and other electronic and audiovisual equipment well in advance of when it is needed.
It also allows you to:
- check on availability and loan periods for equipment
- get a reminder in your calendar to pick up your equipment, and get an email when it is due
- get email notification of overdue items
- check the status of your account, including bookings and fines
Please note that, student laptops will continue to be checked out from the laptop lockers, and accessories such as cables and chargers can be requested from the Service Desk. These items cannot be booked ahead of time.
Here are our step-by-step instructions on using Media Loans.
- You can get to Media Loans through Apps Anywhere or by going to medialoans.yorksj.ac.uk.
- Click on My Account and then on Sign in using your ‘YSJ Username’.
- Enter your credentials and click on Login. You will see a page containing any messages for you and a list of your bookings.
- Click the Book by Category button in the blue bar navigation at the top, then on Book in the Equipment category.
- Under Select owner, click on Make me owner. You also click on Find new owner and book resources for someone else (but they then have to check it out).
- Browse or search for the item you require and click Add to Basket.
- At the top right, you will notice your Basket now has 1 item in it, and the Create booking button has turned green. Click on Create booking.
- Click on How long can I book for? in the right-hand menu to find out the maximum booking time and other rules. Note that some items cannot be booked out immediately.
**Please only book equipment for as long as you need it, even if you are allowed to book it out for longer.**
- Enter a Start date and start time and an End date and time, then click Update.
- Your booking will be shown on the calendar on the same page.
- Click Next to take you to the verification screen. Check details and if everything is correct, click on Submit. A booking confirmation page will be displayed.
- You can print out the confirmation page and/or save the booking to your Outlook calendar so you are reminded when it is coming up. You will also get a confirmation email (if you are the owner).
Please note that student laptops are still checked out using the laptop lockers, not through Media Loans.
Picking up and returning equipment
All equipment should be checked out and returned to the Service Desk in Fountains. If you do not pick up equipment within an hour after your booking, the item will be returned to the available inventory.
All equipment will be charged overdue fines of £10 per day per item. You will be blocked from checking out additional items until equipment is returned and fines are paid.