There are lots of reasons for referencing, but they include:
- To ensure credit is given to the author/creator of a book/image/video etc
- To show the person reading your work how much you have read
- To link evidence to your arguments
- To enable the reader to follow up on the texts you have used, if they are interested in the ideas
- To show the reader the types of resource you have used
There are many different referencing styles. At York St John University we use four; which one you use will depend upon your course.
RefWorks is a tool which collates your references and helps you put them into your assignments, and create a reference list or a bibliography from them: Access RefWorks and get more information
Search Success is based on SMILE by Imperial College, Loughborough University and the University of Worcester, modified by Information Learning Services at York St John University. It is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.