Withdrawal or Leave of Absence (Suspension of Studies)

Withdrawal: You may find it necessary to leave the University before completing your studies. If you are considering withdrawing you should seek advice from your School and, if relevant, support services at the University. Please ensure you read all the guidance and procedural information on the University Withdrawal webpage.

Suspension/ Leave of Absence (LOA): If something is affecting your ability to study and you need to take some time away then you may wish to consider suspending your studies and returning at a later point rather than completely withdrawing. All requests for an authorised leave of absence must be submitted and processed in accordance with the University’s Suspension of Studies policy. A student must apply in advance to suspend unless unforeseen circumstances prevent you from doing so. There is more information on the Suspension of Studies webpage.

It is essential that you email usloans@yorksj.ac.uk if you change the status of your studies as follows:
- Suspend
- Withdraw
- Change from full-time to half-time or less than half-timr

Under US federal law, the University is required to report any changes to your enrolment within tight timescales. For students who withdraw from their studies, or are deemed to have withdrawn due to suspending studies for more than 180 days or taking an unauthorised leave of absence, it is necessary to complete a Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation, and arrange for the return of any ‘unearned’ funds to the US Department of Education.

If you are thinking of changing the status of your studies and want to know what your US Federal Loan entitlement will be, please email usloans@yorksj.ac.uk.

Return of Funds (R2T4 Calculation)

More detailed requirements for the return of Title IV funds are published in the University's US Federal Aid (R2T4) Policy (PDF 0.2 MB), but a short summary is given below.

The US Loans team will complete a Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation to calculate the amount of Title IV program (US Federal Loan) assistance that has been earned, using a formula provided by the US Department of Education.

If it is calculated that you have completed more than 60% of your payment period, all the assistance you were due to receive for the payment period is considered to have been earned and no funds need to be returned.

If it is calculated that you have completed less than 60% of your payment period the University may need to return funds to the US Department of Education. Any funds you have already received after your tuition fees were deducted are not to be repaid immediately, but will be repaid as outlined in your Master Promissory Note (MPN).

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from the Student Finance Regulations. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the University to cover unpaid institutional charges. The University may also attempt to collect any Title IV program funds from you that the University is required to return.

If a student has not received a disbursement of Federal Aid funds at the beginning of a disbursement period and subsequently withdraws, the amount of funds that a student has earned will be calculated and the appropriate amount will be disbursed as a post-withdrawal disbursement.

A leave of absence or a suspension of studies for less than 180 days in a 12 month period may qualify as an ‘approved’ Leave of Absence. If you are granted an ‘approved’ Leave of Absence, you are not considered to have withdrawn, and no R2T4 calculation is required. During the Leave of Absence, you will not be eligible for any disbursements of Federal Aid. If you are granted an ‘approved’ Leave of Absence, you will maintain in-school status for Title IV loan repayment purposes.

Cookie Settings