Living Costs

Living expenses vary throughout the UK but are lower in York than they are in London and other major UK cities. With some planning and a sensible budget, you will find that living in the UK can be easily affordable.

In addition to tuition fees, you will need to budget for living expenses such as accommodation, food and travel. We recommend you budget about £1015 a month to cover these costs for your academic year.

The Home Office requires you to have £1015 per month in your bank account, available for your accommodation, local travel, food and entertainment. This is in addition to the funds you have for your tuition fees. At the time of application, you will need to show that you have enough funds to live on for up to a maximum of nine months of your course (£1015 x nine months) and that you have had this money for at least 28 days.


Essential Living CostsAverage amount per week (GBP)Average amount per month (GBP)
Accommodation (University Managed) £89 - £149 £356 - £596 depending on option chosen
Accommodation (Private) £70 plus bills £280 plus bills
Food and Groceries £25 - £40 £100 - £160
Books and Stationary £12 £48
Laundry £5 £20


Optional Living CostsAverage amount (GBP) per weekAverage amount per month (GBP)
Sports Memberships £5 £20
Entertainment/Social £20 - £40 £80 - £160
Mobile Phone £5 £20


Example Activity CostsAverage Cost (GBP)
Local evening meal (pub meal) £7 - £9
Coffee £2.50
Cinema Ticket £7
Theatre Ticket £15 - £30
Local transport day ticket £2
Return Train ticket to London (2 hours) £40 - £70
Return Train ticket to Manchester (1 ½ hours) £18


You can apply for an NUS card from the Students' Union, which gives students discounts in many shops, restaurants and activities in York and throughout the UK.

The location of our campus residences means that daily travelling costs are low (or non-existent) at the York St John University and that shops selling food, clothes and other everyday items are within easy walking distance.

Working while you study

If you are on a degree programme and have a Tier 4 Visa, you will normally be able to work 20 hours per week during term time and 40 hours per week during holidays only (Christmas, Easter, and summer breaks). You must not work more than your visa specifies, doing so is illegal and could cause you serious problems.

If you are in the UK on a Short-term Study visa for less than 6 months, then you will not be able to work at all. This means you must have access to funds to support yourself while you are in the UK.

You must always remember that studying is your main priority and you must make sure your job fits around your studies. The Jobs and Careers Service at the University can assist you with looking for part-time work once you join the University.

Cookie Settings