Browser does not support script.


Tier 4 student conditions

As a Tier 4 student in the UK, there are important conditions and responsibilities to be aware of.

Conditions of sponsorship

York St John University sponsors your Tier 4 student visa. As we’re sponsoring you to study with us, it’s our duty to ensure that you’re actively engaging with your programme. Should anything change regarding your student status, we’ll need to inform UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and this will have an impact on your visa.

Things you need to be aware of:

  • You must sign in to all sessions with your student ID card. Your attendance will be closely monitored and poor attendance can lead to the termination of your studies.
  • If your studies are terminated, UKVI will be informed and your visa will be curtailed to 60 days.
  • If you don’t attend scheduled activities including lectures, tutorials, seminars, registration points and hand-in points, your School will begin disciplinary procedures and the visa and compliance team at the University will be informed.
  • If you decide to withdraw from your course of study we will tell the UKVI and your visa will be curtailed to 60 days.
  • If you wish to take a break and return to your studies later, we will tell the UKVI and your visa will be curtailed to 60 days. You will need to return to your home country during your break. You will need to apply for a new Tier 4 visa to resume your studies.

Requesting a Term-Time Absence 

If you need more than three days off during term time, you’ll need to complete the Tier 4 Absence Request Form. This will need to be submitted to the School Administration Unit as far in advance as possible. All periods of absence will need to be approved by your subject director.

If you’re a master’s student, the summer is also considered to be term time as this is when you write your dissertation. Absence requests must also be submitted during this time.

Additional Responsibilities

In addition to regular attendance and engagement with your course of study, there are additional responsibilities associated with your Tier 4 status:

  • You must keep the University informed if any of your personal details change. This includes your address, phone number, e-mail address etc. These can be updated on E-Vision.
  • If you had to register with the police, you’ll need to update your police registration certificate.
  • Ensure you do not work more hours than you should. Read about Tier 4 work entitlement.
  • If you renew your passport we'll need to scan the new one into the student records system – email to arrange this. You also need to inform UKVI about your new passport by completing the Migrant Change of Circumstances Form (MCC).
  • Keep updated with tuition and accommodation payments. Significant debt can prevent you from re-enrolling and this can also cause problems with your student status.

Read the full Tier 4 Policy Guidance (PDF, 1.4MB) to learn more about your rights and responsibilities whilst in the UK on a Tier 4 General Student Visa. 

Get in touch

If you have any questions about making a Tier 4 application from outside the UK, get in touch. 

Visa Advice Drop-in Sessions

Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12.00-1.00pm at the Student Information Desk in Holgate.

Cookie Settings