Browser does not support script.


Short-term Study Visas

A short-term study visa is suitable if you're coming to the UK to study or for an exchange.

What are Short-term Study visas?

A short-term study visa usually lasts for six months. If you're coming to the UK to study abroad or for an exchange programme, from outside the EU/EEA, you will usually travel on this type of visa.

If you are coming to the UK to study English language only, you may be able to get an 11 month short-term study visa.

Important conditions of short-term study visas:

  • You are not permitted to work or volunteer whilst in the UK.

  • You cannot switch from a short-term study visa to any other type of visa while in the UK. You would have to return to your home country and re-apply for the different visa (such as a Tier 4 visa) from there.

If you are a visa national you will need to apply for a short-term study visa before travelling to the UK. The fee for a 6-month visa application is £97, for an 11-month visa the fee is £186.

If you are a non-visa national you can travel to the UK with University acceptance documents. You will receive the short-term study stamp when arriving at the UK airport.

Find out if you are a visa national or non-visa national

IMPORTANT: eGates are now in use at UK airports. Please view this important information about eGate eligibility and instructions. However, if you require a short-term study stamp in your passport then do not use the eGates, see a border official in person.

Useful resources

Applying for a UK visit visa
Top Tips for a UK visit visa application

Get in touch

If you have questions about applying for your short-term visa, get in touch

At our drop-in sessions, you can ask any questions about your visa application. Join us at the Student Information Desk on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12.00pm to 1.00pm.

Cookie Settings