Studying in another country can take a lot of planning. Our Pre-Arrival Checklist will help you keep on top of all the tasks you need to complete and make sure you are fully prepared for your journey to YSJ University. Print out a copy and work your way through it.
Download the Pre-Arrival Checklist (PDF, 66KB)
- Accept your offer to study at York St John University (if applicable).
- Apply for your visa or confirm arrangements for your student visitor visa (if applicable). Arrange to have your BRP card delivered directly to York St John University by entering Alternative Location code 2HE867 when you apply for your visa online. More information on visas.
Check your passport. Confirm it is valid and does not expire within 6 months of your arrival.
Arrange medical, dental, and travel insurance (if applicable). Find our what insurance you may need while you study here and make sure this is in place before you start your journey.
Ensure you have cash (in Pounds Sterling) to live on for a few weeks. Opening a UK bank account can take some time, and some public transport only accepts cash. We recommend that you carry no more than £500 in cash for your safety.
- Read our First Few Days webpage.
- Find your Welcome Week Timetable on our website's Welcome Pages.
- Complete Online Enrolment. You will receive an email with instructions on how to complete your online enrolment. You need to have completed this before you can enrol in person at the university in Welcome Week.
Plan your journey. Look at the Travelling to York pages and plan how to get to the university. If you are travelling via Manchester Airport book a place on our free collection service by completing the International Arrivals Form. (Service only available on selected dates)
Tell your family and friends how you will contact them once you arrive in the UK. Let them know when you have arrived safely. Also make sure you know who to contact in case of an emergency.