Language and study skills
How to improve your business English skills.
Business English is English for finding and doing a job and working successfully with English as a global business language.
There are some excellent resources to help you learn the language you need.
Business in the news and media
Business vocabulary and grammar books
- Cambridge Business English Dictionary
- Cambridge Business English Dictionary Online - includes business vocabulary.
- Oxford Business English Dictionary for learners of English - highly recommended as it is based on a study of how people really use English.
- Macmillan Business vocabulary and grammar books - three English levels; 'Essential' (lower level), Intermediate and Upper Intermediate with downloadable samples.
Learning English for Business - websites and business language books
- 'Presentations in English' by Erica J Williams (Macmillan Education 2008).
- BBC Learning English: Talking Business - language for presentations, meetings, negotiations and telephoning.
- BBC Learning English: Get That Job - focuses on job hunting, CVs and interviews.
- BBC Learning English: Language for the workplace
- BBC Learning English: The Handy Guide - a series of short talks about the ideas of business experts.
- British Council 'Business English' pages - excellent resources on business, job-hunting and language to use at work.
- 'Email English' by Paul Emmerson - an excellent, clear, language guide (Macmillan Education, 2013).
- 'Fifty ways to improve your Telephoning and Teleconferencing Skills' by Ken Taylor (Orient Black Swan, 2011).
- 'Telephone English' by John Hughes (Macmillan Education 2006).