How can you get better at this?
- Private practice
To practise this alone, a good exercise is to use a recording.
- Choose a recording at the right level - not too hard! You also need a script, so you can check your work.
- Listen to the first sentence. Try to write every word exactly. Listen as many times as you like. Do the same with two, three or four sentences.
- Listen again and check your work.
- Now read the transcript for a final check. Look especially at the mistakes and try to see why you made them.
What materials can you use for this?
- The Words in the News series on the BBC website is a good source.
- Also, graded readers. These are special study books we keep in the Language Support Centre (Holgate 137). You can borrow them.
- For other sources, including more academic ones, go back to the main Listening page and look for materials.