International Foundation Certificate
For the best possible start to your studies in the UK, join our International Foundation Certificate programme.
The International Foundation Certificate programme offers you the opportunity to grow in confidence in academic study. Through the development of key skills and the exploration of diverse themes and cutting-edge developments across a number of subject areas you will prepare yourselves for your future Undergraduate studies. Please note: this course is currently being updated and will be returning in September 2022.
- Duration – 1 year full-time
- Start date – September 2022
Minimum Entry Requirements
school leaving certificate showing good grades.
4.5 IELTS for UKVI
This programme offers you the perfect opportunity to meet people from a variety of cultures while sampling academic content across different subject areas. You will have the opportunity to improve your English language skills and develop independent learning strategies.
The programme offers 18 hours of teaching and guided study per week. You will spend significant contact time with academics in order to develop subject specific knowledge related to your chosen degree. You will also get the opportunity to take part in a UK field trip as part of a degree-related project.
On successful completion of the programme you will be guaranteed a place on the Undergraduate programme of your choice at York St John University.
On this programme you will learn the skills necessary to succeed in British higher education. You will:
- gain exposure to UK academic culture
- study content relating to your chosen degree subject
- develop independent learning strategies
- experience different teaching and learning styles
- complete multiple assessments
Our International Foundation Certificate year will develop your expertise in key areas including:
- academic listening, reading and writing skills
- critical thinking skills
- English language systems
- academic presentation skills
- academic discussion skills
- English language studies (or independent study module)
- Global issues 1
- Subject area 1 (6 hours study in the academic school of your choice)
- Group work skills
- English for academic purposes
- Advanced English language studies (or independent study module)
- Global issues 2
- Subject area 2 (18 hours study in the academic school of your choice)
The minimum entry requirements for this course are:
- A secondary school leaving certificate showing good grades.
- IELTS for UKVI 4.5 (with a minimum of 4.0 in each skill).
You must be over 18 years of age when you join the programme.
Terms and conditions
Our terms and conditions, policies and procedures contain important information about studying at York St John University. These can be accessed through our Admissions webpages.