Browser does not support script.


Costs & Funding

Learn more about Study Abroad funding and costs.


All students will receive a minimum bursary of £750.

YSJ bursary

All students going to non-European destinations will receive a £750 bursary.


All exchange students to Europe receive an EU funded monthly grant as follows:

  • €420 per month to Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Luxembourg
  • €370 per month to Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, France, Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary

UK Students from households with an annual income of less than £25,000 are eligible for an additional top-up grant of €120 per month. For more information please visit the Erasmus+ website.

Extra financial support may also be available if you have a physical, mental or health related condition that would make your participation in Erasmus+ impossible, without the extra support. Please email us to find out more information.

Student finance loan

You will continue to receive your maintenance grant as usual. If you are studying in the US or Japan for the full year, we can action it so you receive all your loan in one instalment. Please think carefully before you do this, as this must last you for the full year.

Student finance travel grant

You may also be eligible for a travel grant from Student Finance England, depending on household income, to help fund flights, essential expenses, and visas. Please visit the travel grant web page, or contact student finance.

Tuition fee reduction

Year abroad: 85% discount on year tuition fee (home students only).


BUTEX: Each year BUTEX (British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association) award a number of £500 scholarships to students studying outside Europe for a semester or a year. For more information and to apply, please visit The BUTEX website.

William A Gauld Scholarship: Care leavers and estranged students can apply for the William A Gauld Scholarship to help fund their study abroad. Successful applicants will receive £500 for 1 semester, or £1000 for the full year. Please contact Anna Deacon for more info: 

Some host universities may also offer you the chance to apply for their own scholarships



Please ensure you have an up to date passport that expires no earlier than six months after you intend to return. Most destinations require you to have a visa. The cost and process of applying for a visa is your responsibility and varies depending on your destination. Depending on the country this can be a lengthy process so once you know you have a place on exchange it is important to look into this as soon as possible. You will be provided guidance from the partner university but it will be your responsibility to obtain the correct visa. Neither the Study Abroad team here nor at the partner university are qualified to offer consultations or detailed advice regarding visa applications. Immigration laws are complex and subject to frequent changes. If you do have any visa related questions you will need to contact the appropriate Embassy directly.


Flight costs vary depending on your destination. 

Course Books

Some courses require you to purchase books whilst abroad.

Accommodation Abroad

You will need to budget for accommodation costs when you are abroad. Accommodation options and costs abroad vary. Most institutions offer university accommodation or guidance on sourcing private accommodation. Your host university will provide you with accommodation options once you are accepted into the programme. Please visit our partner pages for more information.

One Semester Exchange

If you are considering a semester abroad, we advise against signing a year’s contract for private rented accommodation in York, to avoid double-paying rent. Instead, we guarantee you a room in York St John University accommodation for the semester that you are not abroad. 

Cookie Settings