Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently asked questions by Outgoing study abroad students, for more information contact the Study Abroad Team E: 

Where can I study abroad?

Each programme has a selection of partner universities (some programmes do not offer study abroad options) from which students can choose from. For the complete list please refer to the Destination page on the York St John website. 

When can I study abroad?

The majority of students can go abroad during their second year (except Primary Education students who can go abroad during their third year).

How long can I study abroad for?

Most students study abroad for one semester, however, some courses may offer the opportunity to study abroad for a whole year.

Will studying abroad add an extra year to my degree?

No, you will receive academic recognition for all work successfully undertaken during your study period abroad.

What is the selection process?

We require for non-languages students to have an average credit weighted mark of 55%, to have their application approved by their Academic Advisor, and to write a Cover Letter. 

Furthermore, the University has agreed on a number of students which can be exchanged with all its partners. This means you may not be able to go to your first choice or to study abroad.

Is any funding available?

Funding is available to students who are participating in the Erasmus + programme, so for students who will study at a European university. Current rates:

Erasmus+ Grant (All students)

€330 per month to: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Sweden
€280 per month to: Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Spain

Erasmus+ Grant (Disadvantaged Groups)

Additional €120 per month for students from households with an annual income of less than £25 000.
(N.B. YSJ Student Funding will provide us with this information; you are not required to submit any information)

Do I have to apply to the university I’m going to?

Yes, after being nominated by York St John you will have to apply directly to your host university. The deadlines and requirements will be different for each university. 

Do I need to apply for a Visa?

If you are studying in a European Union university (or Norway), you won't need a Visa. 

For the rest of the world (USA, Japan, Canada, Australi etc.) your host university will let you know if you need a visa and will contact you regarding the process. 

If you are an international student, please contact the relevant embassy (all destinations). 

Cookie Settings