If you have a passion for design, this is the programme for you.
On this unique two-week programme you'll experience a variety of design disciplines. From 3D design to digital design, you'll experiment and learn various practical design skills.
- Two-week programme
- Duration – Two weeks
- School – Art, Design & Computer Science
2020 Summer School Dates
29 June - 10 July | 10 August to 21 August
We've developed this programme for students who are passionate about design. Explore a range of design disciplines, engage in academic study sessions and experiment with a range of practical skills. You'll experience a subject you enjoy while visiting a top UK tourist destination.
Global Guides will accompany you throughout your time here. They're current students who are keen to share their University experience with you. Our guides will show you around our campus, the city of York, and trips further afield.
Please note that flights, travel insurance and visa fees are not included in the course price.
On this programme you will:
- Attend lectures on Britain’s most significant designers.
- Gain practical skills and develop your ideas as you work on mini design projects.
- Explore the fundamentals of game design, virtual reality, printmaking and level design.
- Generate ideas and develop them with sketching techniques.
- Develop a basic understanding of programming and take part in a Game Jam.
- Make the most of your time in York with planned visits to key attractions and an architectural tour of the city.
Each day, in the morning, you'll participate in academic sessions which explore a range of business subjects.
Example sessions include:
- An introduction to Product Design.
- A Keynote lecture on Thomas Heatherwick.
- Product Design: concept development of ideas.
- An Introduction to Interior Design.
- A Design sprint challenge - 3D creative exercise.
- An Interior Design mini project workshop.
- An introduction to Games Design and Games fundamentals
- An introduction to Animation and Animation principles.
- Programming basics.
- An introduction to Graphic Design with sketching techniques.
- Printmaking techniques.
After lunch, you'll take part in an on-site activity, practical session or a visit to one of York's key attractions. This will allow you to apply the knowledge from the morning's session in a practical capacity.
Example activities include:
- A Tour of York Minster.
- A visit to the York National Railway Museum.
- An Interior and architectural tour of York.
- Presenting sketches and ideas.
- Mini project workshop and critique.
- A trip to Askham Bryan Wildlife Park to participate in an animal life drawing class.
- Participation in a Game Jam.
- A typographic tour of York.
- An afternoon visit to York Art Gallery.
- An optional day trip to the Design Museum in London. This will incur additional costs.
- An optional day trip to Castle Howard. This will incur additional costs.
Business Summer School
Football Summer School
Education Summer School