The Football Founders' Centre of Excellence
A unique summer experience for international students with a passion for the game.
In partnership with Sheffield FC, we have created this unique two-week summer experience. Improve your skills with technical and tactical coaching. Experience student life in York and visit some it's top tourist attractions.
- Two-week programme
- Duration – Two weeks
- School – Sport
2020 Summer School Dates
27 July - 7 August | 10 August to 21 August
This programme is available to players with all levels of football ability. It provides an opportunity to find out more about the football industry from Sheffield FC, the world’s first football club. You will also get the chance to find out about a variety of degree subjects at York St John University, an established British University in one of the country’s most historic cities.
Global Guides will accompany you throughout your time here. They're current students who are keen to share their University experience with you. Our guides will show you around our campus, the city of York, and trips further afield.
Please note that flights, travel insurance and visa fees are not included in the course price.
On this programme you will:
- Improve your skills with technical and tactical coaching.
- Receive individual analysis and feedback.
- Learn about football management and business.
- Attend football-related study sessions.
- Experience student life in historic York.
- Visit local attractions and international landmarks.
Each day, in the morning, you'll participate in academic sessions which explore a range of business subjects.
Example sessions include:
- History of the world's first football club - a talk by Richard Tims, Chairman of Sheffield FC.
- Marketing in the football industry - a talk by Robert Zitzmann from Jung von Matt/SPORTS.
- Marketing the Qatar World Cup 2020 - a session with Robert Zitzmann Jung von Matt/SPORTS.
- Coach development workship with John Williams, FA tutor, 'A Licence' coach.
- The journey to becoming a professional football player, from grassroots to the Premier League and back with Jamie Forrester, EX AJ Auxerre, Leeds United and England U18 Player.
- Football structures: looking at the roles of Governing bodies in the game: FIFA, UEFA, FA, PFA.
- Football scouting and player recruitment workshop with Ian Breckin, Ex Nottingham Forest and Wigan Athletic player, currently North of England Chief Scout for Red Bull Leipzig.
After lunch, you'll take part in an onsite workshop or visit to one of York's key attractions. This will allow you to apply the knowledge from the morning's session in a practical capacity.
Example activities include:
- A team-building skills session with Sheffield FC and York St John University staff.
- A tour of York and the famous York Minster.
- A market workshop: globalising the world's first football club.
- A talk on the future of sports retail: an analysis of sports on the high street followed by a trip to the York Designer Outlet.
- A workshop on Player development with John Williams, FA tutor and 'A Licence' coach.
- A day trip to Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United Football Club.
Business Summer School
Design Summer School
Education Summer School