Visa and Immigration - London
Student visa conditions
Information for London Campus students about your responsibilities as a Student visa holder in the UK.
York St John University: Your Sponsor in the UK
York St John University is your sponsor for your Student (formerly Tier 4) visa, and as such we are responsible for your student status. We have to make sure that you are actively engaging with your programme of study because that's what we're sponsoring you to do.
If anything changes with regard to your student status, we are obligated to inform UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and this will have an impact on your visa.
Please be aware of the following:
- Attendance on your course will be closely monitored. You must engage fully with all sessions and notify your if you have to miss a session due to illness or emergency.
- If you fail to attend scheduled activities (lectures, tutorials, seminars, registration points, hand-in points), your School will begin disciplinary procedures and the Visa and Compliance team will be informed
- Poor attendance can lead to the termination of your studies
- If your studies are terminated, UKVI will be informed and your visa will be curtailed down to 60 days
- If you decide to withdraw from your course of study this will be reported to UKVI and your visa will be curtailed down to 60 days
- If you wish to take time out (intercalate) and return to studies later, this will be reported to UKVI and your visa will be curtailed down to 60 days. You will have to return to your home country during the break period and return to the UK on a new Student visa to resume studies
Requesting a term time absence
If you are a visa-holding student and you wish to request a period of time (over 3 days) off during term time you will need to complete the Tier 4 Absence Request Form v5 (docx. 18.2kB) and submit it to the School Administration Unit.
All periods of absence will have to be approved by your Subject Director. Forms need to be submitted as far in advance as possible.
PLEASE NOTE: for MA/MSc students, the summer period counts as term time because this is dissertation write up time. Absence requests must also be submitted during this time.
In addition to attending regularly and remaining engaged with your course of study, you must uphold further visa-holding student responsibilities:
- Keep the university informed of any changes to personal details (address, phone number, email address). These details can be updated easily by logging onto e:vision.
- If you had to register with the Police, you also need to update your address details on your Police Registration certificate
- Ensure you do not work more hours than you are entitled to do. Read
- If you renew your passport and receive a new one, you need to have it scanned into the student records system. Email email@example.com to arrange to do this. You also need to inform UKVI about your new passport by completing the Migrant Change of Circumstances Form (MCC).
- Keep up to date with tuition and accommodation payments. Significant debt can prevent you from re-enrolling and this can also cause problems with your student status.
If you have any questions about your responsibilities as a visa-holding student or would like to speak to an advisor, email firstname.lastname@example.org.