Applying for a Student Visa from Outside the UK

Entry Clearance

When you apply for a Student visa (formerly called Tier 4 visas) from your home country it is called applying for Entry Clearance.

Once you have applied for and received your CAS, you can begin the process of applying for a Student visa.

Documents and Preparation

When preparing to apply for your Student Entry Clearance, please refer to this Visa Application Prep Checklist (PDF, .2MB) for detailed information about what you will need to provide and for an overview of the application steps involved.


When applying for a Student visa, you will need to pay the following fees: 

  • Visa Application Fee (Standard Service): £348
    • If you wish to use Priority Visa Service: £560
    • Super Priority (Premium) Visa Service: £1,304
  • Immigration Health Surcharge: this currently stands at £300 per year of study. This fee must be paid as part of the visa application process. Paying this will generate an IHS number for you which will give you access to the National Health Service in the UK.

Other Requirements

Most students who apply outside the UK will also have to undertake a Credibility Interview as part of the application process. It is essential that students know detailed information about their programmes of study before undertaking a Credibility Interview. All students should find their course of study and view the programme specification, available through the York St John University website.

Tuberculosis Tests: students from these countries must provide TB test results when making a Student visa application.

The initial steps of the visa application are done online. You will need to visit this UK Visas & Immigration page to find out more information and create an account with AccessUK.


Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Delivery in the UK

When your visa is granted in your home country, you will receive an Entry Clearance Vignette sticker in your passport. This is valid for 30 days and you must travel to the UK within that 30-day period. Once you are in the UK, you will need to collect your BRP card because this card is your visa for the duration of your course of study. 

York St John University (York campus only) is an Alternative Collection Location, meaning your BRP card can be delivered to campus, however due to COVID-19 we are not currently using our ACL code. Your BRP will therefore need to be collected from the local Post Office and the address will be stated on your visa result letter from UKVI when they return your passport to you.


 IMPORTANT: e-Gates are now operational at UK airports. Please view this video to find out about who can and cannot use the e-Gates on arrival.


Useful Resources

Tier 4 Visa Guide Africa (PDF, 1.7MB)

Top Tips for Tier 4 Application AFRICA (PDF, 1.9MB)

Tier 4 Visa Guide CHINA (PDF, 1.9MB)

Top Tips for Tier 4 Visa Application CHINA (PDF, 1.7MB)

Tier 4 Visa Guide GULF STATES (PDF, 1.2MB)

Top Tips for Tier 4 Application GULF STATES (PDF, 1.6MB)

Tier 4 Visa Guide INDIA (PDF, 1.4MB)

Top Tips for Tier 4 Application INDIA (PDF, 1.3MB)


Any Questions?

If you have any questions about making a Tier 4 application from outside the UK, E:

Cookie Settings