As a Tier 4 student in the UK, there are important conditions and responsibilities to be aware of.
York St John University: Your Sponsor in the UK
York St John university is your sponsor for your Tier 4 student visa, and as such we are responsible for your student status. We have to make sure that you are actively engaging with your programme of study because that's what we're sponsoring you to do. If anything changes with regard to your student status, we are obligated to inform the Home Office and this may have an impact on your visa.
Please be aware of the following:
- Attendance on your course will be closely monitored. You must use your student ID card to sign into all academic sessions.
- If you fail to attend scheduled activities (lectures, tutorials, seminars, registration points, hand-in points), your School will begin disciplinary procedures and the Visa & Compliance team will be informed
- Poor attendance can lead to the termination of your studies
- If your studies are terminated, the Home Office will be informed and your visa will be curtailed down to 60 days
- If you decide to withdraw from your course of study this will be reported to the Home Office and your visa will be curtailed down to 60 days
- If you wish to take time out (intercalate) and return to studies later, this will be reported to the Home Office and your visa will be curtailed down to 60 days. You will have to return to your home country during the break period and return to the UK on a new Tier 4 visa to resume studies
Requesting an Absence
If you are a Tier 4 student and you wish to request a small period of absence during term-time, you will need to complete the Tier 4 Absence Request Form V3 (DOCX, 18.1KB) and submit it to the School Administration Unit. All periods of absence will have to be approved by your Subject Director.
PLEASE NOTE: for MA/MSc students, the summer period counts as term time because this is dissertation write up time. Absence requests must also be submitted during this time.
In addition to attending regularly and remaining engaged with your course of study, you must uphold further Tier 4 student responsibilities:
- Keep the university informed of any changes to personal details (address, phone number, e-mail address). These details can be updated easily by logging onto E-vision.
- If you had to register with the Police, you also need to update your address details on your Police Registration certificate
- Ensure you do not work more hours than you are entitled to do. Please see here for more information about Tier 4 work entitlement.
- Keep up to date with tuition and accommodation payments. Significant debt can prevent you from re-enrolling and this can also cause problems with your student status.
If you have any questions about your responsibilities as a Tier 4 student or would like to speak to an Advisor, E: email@example.com