Travelling in Europe

Many students like to travel around Europe during holiday periods. Here you can find more information about how to do this and whether or not it affects your existing UK visa.

UK Visas

Tier 4: Tier 4 visas are multiple-entry visas, meaning you can travel in and out of the UK multiple times on the same visa.

Short-term Study Visas: 

  • Visa nationals: if you applied in advance for your short-term study visa and you have this as a sticker in your passport, you can also travel in and out of the UK on the same visa.
  • Non-visa nationals: if you did not have to apply in advance and instead received a short-term study stamp in your passport when you arrived in the UK, your stamp will be invalidated when you leave the UK. 
    • You CAN travel outside the UK but you will need to be prepared to show the same documentation upon re-entry to the UK that you showed when you first arrived, this way you can get a new short-term study stamp.

Schengen Visas

Even if you hold a UK visa, you may still need a Schengen Visa to travel around Europe. The Schengen Visa Nationalities List will tell you whether or not you require one of these visas. For more information about Schengen Visas you can view one of the following resources:

Schengen Visa Information

Schengen Visa Services

When applying for a Schengen Visa, you will require a Confirmation of Attendance letter from York St John University. You can request one of these letters by logging onto e-vision. If you require the name and address of an Embassy on your letter, please let the Student Advice team know when you request your letter. Please allow 2 working days for these letters to be generated.