Short-term Study Visas

What are Short-term Study visas? 

These visas (formerly known as Student Visitor visas) are usually 6 months in length. Study abroad and exchange students from outside the EU/EEA will usually come to the UK on Short-term Study visas.

If you are coming to the UK to study English language only, you may be able to get an 11 month Short-term Study visa.

Important conditions of short-term study visas:

  • You are not permitted to work or volunteer whilst in the UK
  • You cannot switch from a Short-term Study visa to any other type of visa while in the UK. You would have to return to your home country and re-apply for the different visa (such as a Tier 4 visa) from there.

If you are a visa national then you will have to apply for a Short-term Study visa in advance of travelling to the UK.

6-month visa application fee: £97

11-month visa application fee: £186

Non-visa nationals can travel to the UK with University acceptance documents and receive the short-term study stamp when arriving at the UK airport.

Find out if you are a visa national or non-visa national

To find out more about Short-term Study visas, please see the UK Visas & Immigration website: Short-term Study Visas

Useful Resources:

Applying for a UK Visit Visa (PDF, .4MB)

Top Tips for a UK Visit Visa Application (PDF, 2.7MB)

Any questions?

If you have any questions about short-term study visas, E:

Visa Advice Drop-in Sessions: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12.00-1.00pm at the Student Information Desk in Holgate.


Cookie Settings