Applying for a Student Visa from Outside the UK for London Campus students

Entry Clearance

When you apply for a Student visa (formerly known as Tier 4 visas) from your home country it is called applying for Entry Clearance.

Once you have applied for and received your CAS, you can begin the process of applying for a Student visa.


When applying for Entry Clearance, you will need to provide (all original documents):

  • Academic/English language qualification documents which are mentioned on your CAS (IELTS, transcripts, diplomas, degrees, and similar)
  • Bank statements/evidence: you will need to show any un-paid tuition fees plus the equivalent of £12,006 GBP maintenance funds in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive days.
  • Passport


When applying for a Student visa, you will need to pay the following fees: 

  • Visa Application Fee (Standard Service): £348
    • If you wish to use Priority Visa Service: £560
    • Super Priority (Premium) Visa Service: £1,304
  • Immigration Health Surcharge: this currently stands at £470 per year of study. This fee must be paid as part of the visa application process. Paying this will generate an IHS number for you which will give you access to the National Health Service in the UK.

Other Requirements

Most students who apply outside the UK will also have to undertake a Credibility Interview as part of the application process. It is essential that students know detailed information about their programmes of study before undertaking a Credibility Interview. All students should find their course of study and view the programme specification, available through the York St John University website.

Tuberculosis Tests: students from these countries must provide TB test results when making a Student visa application.

The initial steps of the visa application are done online. You will need to visit this UK Visas & Immigration page for more information and to start your application after you get your CAS.


Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Delivery in the UK

When your visa is granted in your home country, you will receive an Entry Clearance Vignette sticker in your passport. This is valid for 30 days (possibly 90 days due to COVID-19) and you must travel to the UK within that 30 or 90-day period. Once you are in the UK, you will need to collect your BRP card from the local Post Office (the location will be stated on your visa result letter). Your BRP card is your visa for the duration of the course of study.

Any Questions?

If you have any questions about making a Student Visa application from outside the UK, E:

Cookie Settings