Applying for a Student Visa from inside the UK for London Campus students

Leave to Remain

If you are joining York St John University from another UK institution (switching sponsors) or if you are applying for a visa extension to finish your current studies, this is called applying for Leave to Remain.

All Leave to Remain applications are overseen by our visa advisors. You will need to have your academic and financial documents approved by the Visa & Compliance team before your new CAS can be issued. Full list of documents required for a Leave to Remain application:

  • Passport and any previous visa(s)
  • Original academic certificates (and any relevant translations)
  • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable)
  • Bank statement, evidencing: 
    • £12,006 maintenance funds
      • Any unpaid tuition fees
      • Money must be held for at least 28 consecutive days
      • Balance end date cannot be more than 30 days old
    • Credit or debit card for paying the online fees: 
      • Immigration Health Surcharge: £470 per year of study
      • Visa application fee: £475 (Standard Service)
        • If you wish to use Priority Visa Service: £952
        • If you wish to use Premium Service: £1,085
        • Super Priority Service: £10,500

After your documents have been approved, the Visa & Compliance team will issue your new CAS and you will then submit the online Student Visa application. You will send your application submission sheet to the Visa & Compliance team by e-mail:

When applying inside the UK, you may not need to have an additional biometrics appointment, instead you will probably be invited by UKVI to upload your documentation using an app. 

For more information about applying for Student Visa Leave to Remain, please see the UK Visas & Immigration website. 


UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs)

Students seeking advice about their in-UK applications can also contact the UKCISA helpline.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday from 1.00pm to 4.00pm.

UKCISA Helpline number: 0207 1079922 (from within the UK only)

The UKCISA website also provides helpful and up-to-date information for international students.


Important Advisory for International Students: Fraud and Scams

Unfortunately, there are individuals who seek to exploit international students who are trying to study in the UK. The Home Office has compiled some information about what to watch out for with regard to possible scams, please view their website to read this important information.


Any questions?

If you have any questions about making a Student Visa application from inside the UK, or if you wish to set up an appointment to speak to an advisor, E:

Cookie Settings