Browser does not support script.


Travelling in Europe

Many students like to travel around Europe during holiday periods. Here you can find more information about how to do this and whether or not it affects your existing UK visa.

UK Visa Types:

Student (formerly Tier 4): Student visas are multiple-entry visas, meaning you can travel in and out of the UK multiple times on the same visa.

PLEASE REMEMBER: Travel should be confined to approved holiday periods. For postgraduate these are Christmas and Easter, the summer period is Term 3 and counts as term time. If you wish to take any absence of 1 week+ during term time, you MUST submit a and seek approval.

Schengen Visas

Even if you hold a UK visa, you may still need a Schengen Visa to travel around Europe. The Schengen Visa Nationalities List (PDF, 217KB) will tell you whether or not you require one of these visas. For more information about Schengen Visas you can view one of the following resources:

Schengen Visa Information

Schengen Visa Services

When applying for a Schengen Visa, you will require a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from York St John University. These are generated by the Visa & Compliance team, so if you wish to apply for a NOC, please e-mail 

Please be advised that a NOC will not be generated for you for a term-time trip unless you have already sought and been given approval by your School (using the Tier 4 Absence Request Form). 

IMPORTANT: due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the University will only issue NOC letters for countries which are on the Foreign Commonwealth Office's official "travel corridor."

Cookie Settings