Your ability to work in the UK depends on what kind of visa you hold. Some students are also interested in staying in the UK to work after studies.

Student Visa holders (formerly Tier 4): Paper people holding hands in a circle

Student Visa students are permitted to work in the UK and the number of hours allowed is based on what kind of course you are studying. 

  • Sub-degree level (pre-sessional or Foundation courses): you can work a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time and a maximum of 40 hours per week during holiday periods
  • Degree-level and above: you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time and a maximum of 40 hours per week during holiday periods

Your visa should also state exactly what your work entitlement is, but if you are unsure about anything then please ask the Visa & Compliance Team.

UK Employers should do a Right to Work check when they hire you, and part of this may involve getting a work entitlement letter from the University (since the University is your sponsor in the UK). If you require a work entitlement letter, please contact in the first instance.

Please note: it is very important that you not work any more than your visa allows. Working extra hours can have serious consequences and affect your immigration status in the UK.

Staying in the UK to work after studies: NEW GRADUATE ROUTE VISA

A new post-study work visa route called the Graduate Route opens for applications on 1st July 2021. This route will be open to all students who successfully complete a UK undergraduate or postgraduate degree. The University will directly inform UKVI about students who have successfully completed their courses and you will NOT be able to submit a Graduate Route application until the Visa & Compliance team informs you that this has been done. 

Please view this Graduate Route Presentation (.pptx, 6.2MB) for more information about this new visa route. 

Useful resources from UK Visas & Immigration regarding work and business visas: 

A Guide to UK Business and Work Visas (PDF, 2.8MB)

Working in the UK after your studies (PDF, 1.5MB)

Applying for a UK Business or Work Visa (PDF, 1.8MB)

Top Tips for UK Work Visas (PDF, .3MB)

Guide for Academic Visitors (PDF, .5MB)


If you have any questions about your work entitlement, the Graduate Route, or would like to speak to an Advisor, E: 

Cookie Settings