Working in the UK

Your ability to work in the UK depends on what kind of visa you hold. Some students are also interested in staying in the UK to work after studies.

Student Visa (formerly Tier 4) Students: Paper people holding hands in a circle

Student visa-holding students (formerly Tier 4 visas) are permitted to work in the UK and the number of hours allowed is based on what kind of course you are studying. 

  • Sub-degree level (pre-sessional or Foundation courses): you can work a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time and full time during holiday periods only
  • Degree-level and above: you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time and full time during holiday periods

Your visa should also state exactly what your work entitlement is, but if you are unsure about anything then please ask the Visa & Compliance Team.

Work Entitlement (term date) letters for your employer: if you find a job in the UK, your employer should do a Right to Work check and you will probably need a letter from the University to provide to your employer.

Please complete this online form to request a work entitlement letter. 

Please note: it is very important that you not work any more than your visa allows. Working extra hours can have serious consequences and affect your immigration status in the UK.

Staying in the UK to work after studies: NEW GRADUATE IMMIGRATION ROUTE (post-study work visa)

A new post-study work visa route called the Graduate Visa is now officially open, as of 1st July 2021.

This route is open to all students who successfully complete a UK undergraduate or postgraduate degree. The University will directly inform UKVI about students who have successfully completed their courses and you will NOT be able to submit a Graduate Route application until the Visa & Compliance team informs you that this has been done. 

If you are interested in the Graduate Visa and wish to have your information passed to UKVI upon the completion of your course, pleae contact 

Please also see the Graduate Visa web page for further details about this immigration route. 

Please also view the UKCISA website for further useful post-study working information. 



If you have any questions about your work entitlement, Graduate Route, or would like to speak to an Advisor, E: 

Cookie Settings