Policies and documents
Customer care statement and Service standards
These Library documents show how we work to monitor and improve our services, and how our users can support us to deliver a great service for all.
Customer care statement
The following is our commitment to high-quality service and how you can help us achieve it.
In the library you can expect that:
- The staff will be friendly, polite and knowledgeable, and will take part in regular training to ensure we are providing the highest level of service.
- We will strive to understand your needs and tailor our service to you as individuals.
- We will try to give you a solution or referral at the first point of contact. If we are unable to solve a problem immediately, we will make clear what will happen next.
- We will conduct a roving service from 9:00am to 5:00pm, so that staff are available across the building to help you and will have staff dedicated to phone and email queries
- We will provide a range of study spaces and monitor their use and suitability, and will ensure that all areas are comfortable, clean and safe.
- We will provide you with information on all our services, as well as any changes and improvements via a range of communication channels.
- We will conduct regular shelf tidying to make sure that resources are easy for you to find
- We provide self-service issue and return points as well as back-up systems, in case of malfunctions, in order to provide continuity of service.
- You are allowed hot and cold food and drinks across all floors, with the exception ofthe silent room on the ground floor, where we only allow water
- During staffed hours we will register a member of the public or someone applying under one of the library’s reciprocal agreements, within 30 minutes. Where there is a large group of external users requiring registration at the same time, we aim to register each person within one working day.
- We will publicise our service standards (see below) and measure against them so that we can ensure we are meeting our objectives. We will use the results to improve our services.
You can help by:
- Observing and complying with Library codes, policies and zones; the IT Acceptable Use Policy; as well as the university’s Policy on Behaviour
- Respecting other library users and staff.
- Carrying your York St John university ID at all times.
- Helping to keep the library environment clean and tidy.
- Responding when required to communications from Library and Learning Services.
- Giving us feedback by talking to us or, through social media, email or internal feedback channels (wall, cards, kiosks) so that we can improve the services we offer to you.
To ensure the library is providing a high-quality service and continually improving, the following key activities are measured and reported as core performance standards (except during University closure periods):
- We will open for 99% of our advertised Service Desk hours and offer support across 7 days a week.
- We will provide an initial response to all queries within 24 hours
- We will respond to all HUSH texts reporting disturbances on the silent floor within 10 minutes.
- We will re-shelve all items within 24 hours of their return.
- We will acknowledge all feedback and complaints within 1 working day and provide an initial response within 3 working days (where contact details are provided).
- Satisfaction levels, as defined by our Viewpoint customer satisfaction kiosks, will be at or above 90% averaged over an academic year, or we will publicise changes and improvements where this is not met.
- We will process all book reservations within 24 hours of their return.
- Print Services will complete all student requests (including dissertations) within 1 working day from receipt of the request. All standard requests from staff for printing, photocopying and stationery will be completed within 3 working days from receipt of the request. Requests which are non-standard will have extended timescales which will be agreed with the member of staff placing the order.
- We will process 95% of all inter-library loan requests within 3 working days and respond to 90% of inter-library loan queries within 3 working days.
- Our library catalogue will be available 99.5% of the time, excluding planned maintenance.
- We will aim to achieve at least 90% satisfaction for question 19 each year on the National Student Survey.
We will report results measured against these standards annually.