Browser does not support script.

Research degrees

Our Postgraduate Research Students and Quality

Academic Standards

In line with the UK Higher Education sector, External Examiners are appointed for research degrees. External Examiners provide assurance that our academic standards are consistent with the sector in relation to the level of award and the field of study.


Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES)

PRES is a sector wide survey used by postgraduate researchers to provide feedback about their learning and supervision to inform improvements. Each institution’s results are confidential but participating institutions are able to benchmark their results.


Students' Union

The Students' Union works with postgraduate researchers to create formal routes for feedback. The Students’ Union is keen to work with all York St John students and is aware of both the common and distinguishing features of the Postgraduate Research Student experience.


Students’ Union Sabbatical Team

The Students' Union Sabbatical team is made up of three full-time officers who are elected in cross-campus elections every February. Their responsibility is to represent students on all issues; they sit on a number of University Committees and liaise with senior university staff members on a variety of academic matters. You can find out more about the current Sabbatical Officers at the Students' Union website.


Postgraduate Researcher Representatives

Postgraduate Researcher Representatives are students who act as a link between the PGR population and the University. Postgraduate Researcher Representatives are elected to sit on Research Committee and Research Degrees Sub-Committee. All PGRs are eligible to be elected as a Representative. To be elected, PGRs should contact the Students' Union to nominate themselves for election. All PGRs vote for who they wish to be the representatives on the Research Committee and Research Degrees Sub-Committee. For more information, please contact the Students’ Union on


General Feedback

At any time PGRs can email the University with feedback. The Information Services desk can be reached with feedback by email at 

Students can contact The Students' Union with feedback either in person at the Service Desk in the Student’s Union Building or using their online contact form (currently offline).

Cookie Settings