Senior Lecturer Occupational Therapy
School of Health Sciences
T: 01904 876406
After completing an Occupational Therapy degree at Coventry University, I spent 20 years in clinical practice. While initially specialising in working with individuals with an acquired or traumatic brain injury, the majority of my clinical career has been in physical health working with older adults in a variety of settings. Having completed my PhD in Gerontology, I joined York St John in 2015 with the aim to share some of my knowledge and experience and to inspire future generations of occupational therapists.
I am proud to be part of the occupational therapy team here at York St John University and to be able to contribute to the development of the future national and international health and social care workforce.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
• PhD in Gerontology, University of Southampton
• MSc in Gerontology, University of Southampton
• BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy, Coventry University
• Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PCAP), York St John University
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• Registered with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
• Professional member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists
I teach across the Undergraduate and Pre-registration Masters Occupational Therapy Programmes. My areas of expertise lie within physical health working with older people in acute, rehabilitation and community settings. I am interested in the pedagogical aspects of teaching and strive to incorporate a range of traditional and innovative teaching and learning experiences to enhance student learning.
My PhD and MSc research focussed on the working patterns of the Older Health and Social Care workforce and the implications these have for extending the working life.
My current research looks at occupational participation of older (50 years+) military veterans and I am also interested in developing the teaching and learning experience of occupational therapy students here at York St John by developing an occupational therapy student CPD Portfolio.
I am a member of the following:
• York St John University Learning Analytics Committee
• York St John University Academic Calendar Working Group
• Royal College of Occupational Therapists
• British Society of Gerontologists