Director of Occupational Therapy
School of Health Sciences
T: 01904 876406
After completing an Occupational Therapy degree at Coventry University, I spent 20 years in clinical practice. While initially specialising in working with individuals with an acquired or traumatic brain injury, the majority of my clinical career has been in physical health working with older adults in a variety of settings. Having completed my PhD in Gerontology, I joined York St John in 2015 with the aim to share some of my knowledge and experience and to inspire future generations of occupational therapists.
As Director of Occupational Therapy I lead the development and operational management of the BHSc/BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy and MSc Occupational Therapy (pre-registration) Programmes and continue to teach and supervise research projects across both Programmes.
I am proud to be part of the occupational therapy team here at York St John University and to be able to contribute to the development of the future national and international health and social care workforce.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
• PhD in Gerontology, University of Southampton
• MSc in Gerontology, University of Southampton
• BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy, Coventry University
• Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PCAP), York St John University
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• Registered with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
• Professional member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists
I teach across the Undergraduate and Pre-registration Masters Occupational Therapy Programmes. My areas of expertise lie within physical health working with older people in acute, rehabilitation and community settings. I am interested in the pedagogical aspects of teaching and strive to incorporate a range of traditional and innovative teaching and learning experiences to enhance student learning.
As Director of Occupational Therapy, I lead the academic team and oversee the development of the curriculum to ensure that content maintains currency in line with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT) and York St John University Standards for accreditation.
My PhD and MSc research focussed on the working patterns of the Older Health and Social Care workforce and the implications these have for extending the working life.
I am also interested in developing the teaching and learning experience of occupational therapy students here at York St John and I am currently involved in research (student as co-researcher) projects looking at the use of the flipped classroom and in developing an occupational therapy student CPD Portfolio.
I am a member of the following:
• York St John University Learning Analytics Committee
• York St John University Academic Calendar Working Group
• Royal College of Occupational Therapists
• British Society of Gerontologists