Senior Lecturer: Music
School of Performance & Media Production
T: 87 6413
I am Senior Lecturer in Music within the School of Performance and Media Production. I teach across all of the BA (Hons) Music courses, provide academic tutoring, and advise postgraduate research students. In addition, I run a wide range of university ensembles, which have included numerous jazz and classical ensembles, folk and ceilidh bands, and experimental and progressive rock bands.
I am a bass trombonist and pianist who plays a wide range of music including classical, jazz, rock, pop, electronic, and experimental. In my music-making, teaching, and research, I am particularly interested in exploring how performers create shared experiences within ensembles.
I am module leader for modules across all three undergraduate years, including Perspectives on Music, Ensemble Performance, Experiments in Music, Ensembles and Leadership, and Enterprise and Employability. In addition, I supervise dissertations and collaborative projects for third year students, with particular focus to those on BA Music (Hons) Performance. I have acted as academic tutor for all three cohorts of students, and provide academic and practical musical support.
Research Interests and Projects
My own research centres around how musicians collaborate and interact in ensembles. This thread links related interests in teaching music in higher education, the effect of genre on music-making practices, creative compositional strategies to explore performers’ relationships, performative musical knowledge, and music performance in general. I am interested in contributing to research which explores practical music-making in any sense.
Selected Recordings and Performances
- Edinburgh Fringe (Edinburgh, UK). Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet, York St John University Music, August 23–15 2019.
- Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts (Pilton, UK). New York Brass Band, June 26–July 1 2019.
- From the Ground [CD]. Flora Greysteel. Independent, 2019.
- Reality is My Plaything [CD]. Phi Yaan-Zek. Geomagnetic Records, 2018.
- Wilderness Festival (Oxfordshire, UK). New York Brass Band, August 3–6 2017.
- Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts (Pilton, UK). New York Brass Band, June 21–26 2017.
- Batumi Heat Festival (Batumi, Georgia). New York Brass Band, June 5–9 2016.
- Mythical and Angry [Online Album]. Murphy McCaleb and Andy Edwards. Independent, 2015.
- Tangents [Online Album]. Murphy McCaleb with Andy Edwards and Steve Lawson. Independent, 2014.
- IAASM (Green EP) [CD]. I Am A Scary Monster. Independent, 2014.
- Ed Bennett: My Broken Machines [CD]. Decibel. NMC Recordings, 2011.
- Evan Chambers: The Old Burying Ground [CD]. The University of Michigan Symphony Orchestra. Naxos, 2010.
- KB [CD]. Killarney Broadcast. Independent, 2009.
- Raise the Roof [CD]. The University of Michigan Symphony Band. Equilibrium Records, 2009.
- Roman Holidays [CD]. Borealis Brass. Independent, 2009.
- ‘Ethos, Technique, and Performance: Rethinking Ensembles in Higher Education’ delivered at the Performance Studies Network Fifth International Conference, Norwegian Academy of Music, Oslo, Norway, 5–8 July 2018.
- ‘Teaching Through Ensemble Performance’ delivered at the conference Together in Music: Expression, Performance and Communication in Ensembles, York, UK, 12–14 April 2018.
- ‘Playing Together: developing ensembles through musical play’ poster delivered at the International Society for Music Education 32nd World Conference, Glasgow, UK, 24–29 July 2016.
- ‘Playing Together: developing ensembles through musical play’ delivered at the Performance Studies Network Fourth International Conference, Bath Spa University, UK, 14–17 July 2016.
- ‘Heart of Tones and the Dilation of Time’ delivered at the Royal Musical Association Study Day ‘Keeping Time? New Approaches to Temporality’, University of York, UK, 13 June 2016.
- ‘Thinking in Performance’ delivered at the Tacit or Loud Symposium and Festival for Artistic Research, Malmö, Sweden, 28 November–3 December 2014.
- ‘Developing Ensemble Musicians’ delivered at the seventh international Orpheus Research Centre in Music (ORCiM) seminar ‘From Output to Impact: The integration of artistic research results into musical training’, Orpheus Institute, Ghent, Belgium, 19–20 November 2014.
- ‘Inter-reaction as creative process in improvisation’ delivered at the Performance Studies Network Third International Conference, University of Cambridge, 17–20 July 2014.
- ‘Embodied Knowledge in Popular Music Ensembles’ delivered at the International Festival for Artistic Innovation, Leeds College of Music, 10–14 March 2014.
- ‘Embodied Knowledge: The Case of Ensemble Performance’ delivered at the Performance Studies Network Second International Conference, University of Cambridge, 4–7 April 2013.
- ‘Intention and Action in Musical Performance’ delivered at the Royal Musical Association Study Day: Challenging Musical Ontologies, University of Nottingham, 23 November 2012.
- ‘Research Through Music: Reflecting on Practice-as-Research Within a Conservatoire Doctoral Programme’ delivered at the Association Européenne des Conservatoires sponsored European Platform for Artistic Research in Music, Conservatorio di Santa Cecilia, Rome, 10–12 May 2012.
- ‘Making Sense: Sensory input’s effect on live electronic music performers’ delivered with Tychonas Michailidis at the Conference on Interdisciplinary Musicology (CIM11), Glasgow Caledonian University, 30 August–3 September 2011.
- ‘Communication or Interaction? Applied environmental knowledge in ensemble performance’ delivered at the Performance Studies Network First International Conference, University of Cambridge, 14–17 July 2011.
- ‘Embodied knowledge in ensemble performance: the case of informed observation’ delivered at Performa’11 Conference on Performance Studies, University of Aveiro, Portugal, 19–21 May 2011.
PCAP, York St John University
PhD, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire: Thesis title Embodied Knowledge: The Case of Ensemble Performance
MMus, University of Michigan: Chamber Music
MMus, University of Michigan: Performance (Trombone)
BMus, University of Alaska Fairbanks: Music: Performance